Model 12: No Cut/Copy/Paste/Move?

From
California
Gear owned
Portastudios
Hey, everyone!

I am new here, but have been using Tascam portastudios my entire life. I of course started with the 4-track cassette machines, and eventually upgraded to a DP-01 way back in the early 2000's. I've loved using that unit, but wanted to make a change. So, I purchased a Model 12 recently, and have just begun using it this past weekend.

I really am liking it. It's got more going on than the DP-01—BUT… I don't see any indication that you can copy-paste/cut-paste/cut-move, etc. like I could/can on the DP-01. This was slightly disappointing, as that editing feature is very useful… and I need it at the moment.

My question for anyone out there: 1.) Am I missing something? Is there a similar editing command on the Model 12? If not, 2.) Is there/are there any "work-arounds" that can emulate a copy/cut/paste feature? Can I use "markers" to skip from one spot to a destination spot in my song?

I know I can export my tracks to GarageBand (as I'd been doing). But I bought this Model-12 to be a stand-alone unit that would negate the need for a DAW.

Thanks so much!

I think you bought the wrong mixer. As far as I know,the Model series are supposed to be used with a DAW, so no, it won't do editing functions. I may be wrong

Hey, BazzBass. Thanks for the reply.

The Model-12 is, indeed, a portastudio. Everything I read about it, and watched on youtube, indicated it could be used alone OR with a DAW. It's got a lot on it for mastering (sweepable mids, built-in effects, etc.) It appeared to be exactly what I'd wanted.

But since it records to an card, and not a drive (like my DP-01), I guess that kind of "computer-like" editing is not possible. So, I was wondering if there were any tricks to simulate such an edit.

Last edited:
It hasn’t got copy/paste, but it does have move (unlike Model 16 & 24, that doesn’t have this).
One way to work with the Model12 is to make all the recordings you need and when that’s done you just open the files in your DAW of choice and do all the editing and mixing.

Reactions: Bourbon_In_Burbank
@Bourbon_In_Burbank said:

The Model-12 is, indeed, a portastudio.

The Portastudios are portastudios. The Model series are FOH mixers with multitrack recording capabilities but cannot even do bounces, natively.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums. Please do not post multiple copies of your queries. Spreading replies across multiple topics dilutes the search capability.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I don't see any indication that you can copy-paste/cut-paste/cut-move,
Your question has already been addressed in this sticky.

@Bourbon_In_Burbank said:

Hi, mjk.

Yes... I realized, after the fact, that I'd originally posted in the wrong forum and added a request to my original post for admin to please remove it... and then re-posted in the correct place.

Thanks.

The Portastudios are portastudios. The Model series are FOH mixers with multitrack recording capabilities but cannot even do bounces, natively.

Welcome to the Tascam Forums. Please do not post multiple copies of your queries. Spreading replies across multiple topics dilutes the search capability.

Reactions: -mjk-
It hasn’t got copy/paste, but it does have move (unlike Model 16 & 24, that doesn’t have this).
One way to work with the Model12 is to make all the recordings you need and when that’s done you just open the files in your DAW of choice and do all the editing and mixing.

Cut/Copy/Paste, etc. are nice. But "Move" is all I'd really need. I've looked through the manual, but don't even see a "Move" action mentioned.

My original drum track (always the first to be recorded) was created with a fade-out ending in mind. As such, it goes on a little long. However, I deemed after the fact that a hard stop would be more fitting/sound better. So…

I need to move the last 10 seconds or so forward — where there's still a good 30 seconds remaining of my song — and end it at around 4:00 and not at 4:36.

I realize there's the "DAW" option at my disposal. I've been using GarageBand with my imported DP-01 tracks. But I bought this Model 12 with the intention of negating the need for a DAW.

Thank you for your reply.

It's cool. The request didn't get to the mods though. Not sure why. Nevermind.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. You can’t select a small portion of a track and move that.
What you can do is move the whole track to another track.

Ahhhh... ok then.

Looks like my song is going to just be longer than necessary. LOL! Thanks.

I really didn't think of checking on whether any portastudio would NOT have those editing features. I assumed all digital machines would have that editing capability... But I apparently assumed a little too much.

Going forward with the Model 12, I will just have to make sure I have my songs thought-out 110% before dedicating tracks to it. At least it's got punch-in/out. I'd be totally screwed without that! :D

Thanks, everyone.

BazzBass,

Yeah. I'm selling it. I have my eye on the DP24. You don't think that would be a good choice? aside from more tracks, what would be the advantage of the 32?

Thanks.

I think that, apart from the extra track count, the only advantage of the DP32 over the 24, is that you can reassign the stereo tracks to function as mono ones.

I have to say, I recently posted some thoughts about differences between the Model 12 and DP24. There are a few things I miss about the DP24, but I always find editing on it a bit tedious, and the track exporting on the M12 is far, far better; this means that quickly exporting to a DAW, editing, then importing back to the M12 is very slick.

Reactions: Logrinn
Yeah. I'm selling it. I have my eye on the DP24. You don't think that would be a good choice? aside from more tracks, what would be the advantage of the 32?

Track count matters. You will very likely run into track limitations at some point, especially if you start using advanced techniques where you are mixing submixes on stereo tracks. Also, if you ever want to collaborate with someone, having those extra tracks to add to theirs will be very handy.

I think though, you said you already pulled the trigger on the 24?

I did pull the trigger on the DP24. I'll have it tomorrow. I think I will be ok with it... I've made a DP-01 8-track work for me — for the most part — these past couple decades. :)

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
Notwithstanding, adding a very simple feature to split a song (all tracks) into multiple songs at marks would be an easy and extremely useful addition to the Model series. it’s just file management but it would mitigate the need to jump into a DAW for many routine things such as trimming tbe in/outs of a song.

many of use the Model series to record band rehearsals and thus rack up long song sessions where we want to quickly clip out the good bits, do a prelim mix Dow a nd send to band mates…

It would also be very useful for composing songs if the Vamp feature allowed recording over a vamped section onto empty tracks.

so many times I jump over to a DaW just for the most basic manipulations

New threads

Members online