Model 12 - possible to mute the main mix when playing back and mixing

Nick Monte

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi.. I have a feeling I'm being a bit daft but I'd like to know how or if it's possible to listen back to my tracks on the sd card without the automatic stereo mix..

You mean like using the Solo button?

I think I've tried that.. But I'll double check when I get home.. Thanks!

So I tried that.. With all the track faders down I get the stereo mix without effects.. So I must be making a different noob mistake.. I'm normally OK with these things.. I have a big allen and heath gsr24 that uses firewire and can generally troubleshoot my way out of trouble.. Must be something really basic and I have a blindspot..

Have you checked the "Basic Facts" and the "Tips & Tricks" stickies? Maybe something there will help get you pointed in the right direction.

Ordinarily with a console the Solo bus is what one would use to listen to individual tracks. Another option would be to solo them in the DAW. Otherwise they all go to the 2-mix unless routed otherwise.

And that's how I've always understood mixers.. My a and heath, and my small live soundcraft work in the same way.
But, when I play back after recording (all switches on mtr mode), I can still hear the stereo mix. I took the advice of Mark Richards, veteran on this forum, and watched a couple of tips and tricks vids on YouTube..unfortunately, neither of the guys in their content touched on my problem..

Can you mute all of the individual channels and then unmute the ones you want to hear? Opposite the way solo works, but that might get you what you need.

..thanks again.. I've just realised that this stereo mix that I can't switch off is in the headphone mix.. Sub and main out are good but for late night session if prefer to work with the phones.. So guys, anyone got a quick fix for my problem?

TASCAM gear does some things in quirky, unexpected ways, which can be frustrating to figure out sometimes.

It could be something that needs to be set or changed via the menu, or it could be some funky button/switch combo, or a bit of both.

I don't own one of these FOH mixers, so the only other advice I can offer is to download the pdf version of the owner manual and make a search on "solo", "monitor", etc.

The other is to try tracing the control room signal flow through the Block Diagram in the OM.

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
I've looked through the manual and can't find what I'm looking for
The afl/pfl led next to the screen is on and according to one YouTuber it should be off but can't see how.. I looked through the on-board menu but..

The OM says right on page 21, 22, 23:

SOLO switches (1-6, 7/8-9/10)
Turn these switches on (pushed in) to send channel signals to the SOLO L/R bus.

When these switches are on, the sound of their channels can be heard through the SOLO L/R bus with headphones.

When the SOLO MODE screen setting is INPLACE SOLO, the signals of channels that are not on will be muted. (see “Setting the solo function for all channels” on page 55) TASCAM Model 12 21.

PFL/AFL indicator
This indicator lights when at least one channel SOLO switch is on or when the AFL switch for the AUX 1 or AUX 2 knob or the FX fader is on.

AFL switches (AUX 1/AUX 2)
When these switches are on (pushed in), the AUX OUTPUT AUX 1/2 jack output signals are sent to the SOLO L/R bus. When these switches are on, the sound of the SOLO L/R bus can be heard through headphones.

PFL/AFL MASTER knob
Use this to adjust the send level from the SOLO L/R bus

So the question is, does your unit function like this? (Hat tip to @Mark Richards)

Reactions: Mark Richards
Brilliant! Thanks very much.. I had even made the switch to solo in place but not the other changes.. I was also missing the panning in the phones and now it's all there.
Im super impressed with this unit - especially the headphone sound.. Very important for getting into the mood for recording.. I also have an audient setup and whilst I think the pres are good, I never get a motivating sound in the cans..

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.