Model 12 problem

Lee Robinson

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi,

New to the forum and wondered if anyone could help?

I brought my model 12 a couple of months ago now as wanted it for the inputs and the DAW control. And to be honest it just looks great!

When I first got it, had a few hiccups with getting sound to come out and what things to select, not going to lie it drove me a bit mad.. But think I've got there now. Then I noticed whilst I was playing about in Ableton that the auto pan plugin wasn't panning when I was in the mixer mode? But I could see the panning effect was doing it's thing on the actual screen of the mixer, however the effect wasn't coming out of the speakers and the effect wasn't showing up on the main meter next to the screen... It just a sort of ducking effect coming out of the speakers. However when running the mixer in the DAW control setting it works fine?

I'm hoping it is just a setting I've missed, if you have any ideas I'd be very grateful!

Cheers.

Plugins are routed to the DAW Master Bus, so if you're not monitoring the Master Bus, you're not going to hear it properly. So naturally it works in DAW mode because the DAW Master Bus comes up on 2 channels on the console and thus you hear it in stereo. Otherwise, you're monitoring individual mono tracks. That also explains your "ducking" comment. In mono, the panning moves the level up and down rather than side-to-side in the stereo field, because there is no stereo field on a mono channel. If you were to apply that plugin across a stereo pair of tracks and were monitoring those tracks in stereo on the console, you would hear it in stereo.

You've discovered one of the main issues with interfacing DAWs with consoles. DAWs work in stereo, while nearly all consoles have mono channels and a few exceptions have some stereo pairs. You have to get into the mono mindset when working with mono channels. You have to create stereo by using 2 channels/tracks and this takes double the resources. This is why the Portastudios have stereo tracks that are controlled with a single fader. This is also why Behringer's latest console, the WING does stereo channels on a single fader.

I you gotta have this effect, record it to 2 tracks and bring them up on the console, on 2 mono channels panned hard L/R. Otherwise, those stereo plugins on your DAW just are not going to work. Since the Model 12 is basically a 10 channel mixer, you can clearly see that if you are working in stereo pairs, all you get is 5 instruments. That is, unless you work totally in DAW mode and use the Model 12 as a recording interface to record many tracks and mix in the box using the faders to make moves in the DAW mixer.

I thought I may have something to do with the mono side of things. Will have to rethink my routing situation. Thanks for the reply, I'll use the info and it should help.

Cheers!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online