Model 12 to Reaper on MacOS low USB output

DThompson55

From
Manchester, CT
Gear owned
Model 12
I had no problem connecting the new model 12 to Reaper on MacOS, and set up there for multitrack recording, similar to how I would do it with FocusRite interfaces or a Behringer X32 mixer, both of which I've used for years without problems. Just plug in the USB on both sides, start Reaper, tell it to use the Model 12 as the I/O device, it could not be easier.

My issue is I cannot seem to get enough gain out of the Model 12's USB connection. I have the Model 12 channel gain controls set at about 75%, with an SM57 on guitar, and SM58 on vocals on channels 1 & 2. But at those levels I'm only getting -24db peak at the DAW.

The track level meters on the Model 12 also look low to me. Those signals just come up 3 or 4 dots, coming nowhere near the zero (-12db) line on the level meter.

The USB send points are all set to PRE-COMP, so I think the only thing in between the mic and the USB is channel gain.

I can always add a 12db input boost on the DAW but that's going to raise the noise floor as well as boost the signal. At least it gets my signal up to -12db peak where I can start to work with it. It just doesn't feel right.

We have the input mode switch set to PC. Maybe it needs to be set to Live, if we want to capture the live sound to the USB? Maybe PC mode is only used to play back from the laptop/DAW? If that's the case maybe we need to reserve two channels for playback and use the others in Input mode to go over to the laptop/DAW?

I don't know if I've got the model 12 set up wrong, or if it's not meant for this purpose, or what's going on.

Also, what does ModelMixer software do? I don't think I actually ran it while the Model 12 was connected. Could that be part of the problem?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Assuming you haven't read the OM nor additional docs on Tascam website, which you should before posting here:
- use XLR-XLR balanced cables for your mics
- set input mode switch to LIVE (page 39 OM)
- set all involved level controls before starting to record (also called gain staging)
- Trim must be set high enough to provide an average -12dB level (LCD input meter) with the mic placed correctly in front of a loud enough source
- read the OM at least from page 65 (USB audio interface functions), where the first sentence is "Installing the dedicated software".

Keep us informed.

Brilliant - Of course I "thought" I'd read the OM, but clearly I misunderstood some of the details. The main thing is to set the input mode to Live. After that we were easily able to get the gain up to -12db, where it should have been without clipping.

The required software does not seem required at all on MacOS, other than to view the current firmware, bitrate, and to verify that the model 12 is connected.

At this point we think we've decided to record inputs 2-10, and playback from the DAW into 1&2. Or alternatively use 1&2 for inputs, but remember to switch them to PC mode for playback, which seems like something we could easily skip over in the heat of a recording session.

Great product. Thanks for your kind help.

Reactions: -mjk- and Max Relic
Happy to help, and thanks for taking the time to give a feedback. The manual has an elusive quality to be obscure/concise at first read and becoming clearer at each subsequent read.

P.S: the most recent firmware release from Tascam introduced new options for the Model 12, for details please refer to the online documentation https://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/Model12_Addendum_v140.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.