Model 12 .wav files in Apple Logic Pro

RyanR

Gear owned
Model 12
Hi all. I've been using my Model 12 for practice and also live gigs. Love the multi-track recording. Works great. But recently I've developed a problem.

I record the tracks on the Model 12 on an SD card and then copy them to my Mac Mini (M2 Pro chip). I can open the .WAV files and play them and, using an app like Transcribe, I can see the waveforms.

Next I create a blank Logic Pro project and pull in the .WAV files. They load fine although it takes a lot of time for Logic to create the Waveform views. But I don't mind waiting for that.

The problem comes when I save my project and reopen it. Every time I open the project Logic Pro recreates all the waveforms from scratch - a very slow process. It does not seem to save the waveforms it generated earlier.

Logic does not have this problem for .WAV files (or MP3 files) from other sources only the ones from the Tascam Model 12.

Anyone else using Logic Pro and run into this problem? Any ideas what to do? Are there particular recording settings on the Model 12 (or in Logic) that would address this?

Last edited:
Hi @RyanR,
I run MacOS High Sierra on a Mid-2011 I5 iMac that should be far less efficient than your M2 Mini.
I created an empty audio project in Logic X 10.4, opened the file browser ("F"), searched for the folder containing a copy of Model 12 sample tracks then dragged them onto the workspace; a popup opened indicating the files had different sampling rate than the project, I confirmed to change the project SR and then the tracks loaded instantly.
I saved the project with "organize as folder" and "copy audio files" options set, then closed/reopened the project a few times and all went well with no delays. In order to troubleshoot your case you should give more details, i.e. if the wav files reside on SSD, how big they are, if you experience the same behaviour with wav files from different source than the Model 12.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Flex analysis could be involved in what you described.

Hey Max,

First of all thanks for responding so quickly. It is encouraging that you are able to avoid this problem; gives me hope I can solve it too.

Here are some additional details:
- I copy the files from the Model 12 SD to a local folder on my Mac. Next I create a Logic project and drag the Model 12 .WAV files into it. The Logic project is located on my local drive and is not in a folder that is being synced with iCloud (or anything else).
- Whenever I close or reopen the project it rebuild the waveforms for the tracks from the Model 12.
- I've tried adding a .WAV file from another source and also an .MP3 file. Neither of them have the issue. They create waveforms for the tracks and then seem to save them with the logic project. When I close and re-open the project the non-Model 12 waveforms display instantly. It is only the .WAV tracks from the Model 12 that re-build the waveforms.
- I have "Copy audio files into project" checked on.
- I made sure Logic has full disk access checked on.
- Per your note I tried saving it as a package and also as a folder but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
- When I drag the Model 12 .WAV files into a new Logic Pro project I do not get the "sampling rate" message you are seeing...not sure exactly what triggers that.
- I checked the flex settings for the tracks I imported and they are set to "Flex and Follow: Off"

If you have any additional ideas on what to look at that would be great!

I have the project default sample rate set to 44.1 kHz and the Model 12 is set at 48 kHz/24 bit, that's why Logic politely asks to adapt either the file or the project.
IIRC Logic's Flex rescans the wav files every time the project is loaded, that's the warp analysis used for adapting audio files to tempo. I guess for the moment you don't need to stretch your Model 12 tracks so just try disabling Flex on top of the timeline, then double-click one audio track to open the editor and check if the Flex icon is unlit (if it is, and you click on it, Logic will ask for turning Flex on for the selected track). Check if Adapt Project Tempo is selected (click right under the tempo indicator, a selector should open), IIRC this makes use of time-stretching function. Another thing, could it be your tracks are simply huge in size?

Max,

My tracks are definitely larger in size (500 MB each) and it does not surprise me it takes a while to create the waveforms when I import them in the first place. My thought was that, once Logic created the initial waveform thumbnails, it would save them when I save the project and then re-load them instantly (or near instantly) the next time. Maybe I have that concept wrong?

The audio content loads immediately (I know this because I can move the playhead anywhere in them as soon as I open them). It is just the waveforms that take the time to regenerate.

I just checked the sample rate of my project. It is interesting because it says the sample rate is set to 44.1kHZ for the Logic Pro project but I do not get a message when I bring in the Tascam WAV files. I wonder if I somehow have made some odd Tascam settings?

I just looked at the tracks (as you recommend) and it looks like Flex is turned off for all of them.

Also looked at Project Tempo Mode and it is set to "Keep Project Tempo". Is that the best setting?

Hello @RyanR,
it is likely due to file size, maybe. Did you try freezing an audio track and reloading the project? And which Logic version are you running? It could be they changed something in the file managing, sorry I haven't a definitive solution.
Keep Project Tempo is fine for normal tasks and audio tracks with regular timing.

You get the Sampling Rate mismatch popup if the SR of the file you want to import differs from the project settings, otherwise you got it right and Logic is happy.
To know details of your .wav select it in the Finder and press Cmd+I, in the opening panel you should see a section with details about duration, channels, sampling rate and bit depth.

On the Model 12
- sampling rate and bit depth are displayed in the main screen, or just go to menu SONG (click to select) / Information;
- sampling rate and bit depth are decided when creating a new song, options are 44.1 k / 48 kHz and 16 / 24 bit;
- don't remember if they can be changed after tracks are recorded, you can check the OM.

Max,

I'm running Logic Pro for Mac 10.7.8.

Excellent idea about freezing the tracks. I gave it a try, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Your explanation about the sample rate was clear. I checked and I had the Model 12 set to 44.1k which is the same as my Logic default so that explains why I'm not getting any message when I add them.

I agree at this point I'll just have to live with this. It's a bit annoying when I open the projects, but at least I can still get the job done.

If you ever get an idea of something else I could try just fire it my way.

Regardless, I'd like to thank you again for helping me out. It is really very kind of you!

Best,
Ryan

Hello Ryan,
not at all, just sharing some sparse knowledge before it fades from memory. However you should visit the nice Logic Pro Help forum and ask your question there; there is more than a chance you will get an expert answer, often David Nahmani in person gives help. Give us a feedback if you get the solution.

Regards

Max

I created an empty project in Logic with a huge .wav (a hair less than 1 GB), the peak scan took more or less 10 seconds, during this time Logic created an .ovw file aside the source audio file. Saved the project with "copy audio files" option and when reopened there was no rescan happening. I wiped it all and repeated the test but after trashing the .ovw file and write-protecting both the source .wav file and its folder. Unfortunately, or I should say fortunately, I didn't get the anomaly you described.

New threads

Members online