Model 16 - “PC” mode only works on track 1 & 2?

kusstard35

Gear owned
Tascam model 16
Hey guys.

new to this website

I have connected the model 16 to my DAW (reaper) and I’m trying to send the individual tracks from the DAW to the mixing board on the tascam. So I’m using it as an interface.

but only the first 2 channels work on “PC mode”? Any suggestions?

Even switching all channel modes to “PC” I can’t seem to get anything through them

Have you looked in the "Tutorials and Informational Videos" sticky pinned in the shaded section on the first page of this forum?

There are several videos there that explain how to get the Model 24/16/12 and a DAW talking to each other.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve had a look at a few of them but nothing that really sorts the problem I’m having.

just wondered if someone had the same issue at some point and had the answer

I have seen the video which explains how to do it on the model 12..... but the 16 doesn’t have the same option in the menu setting to connect to your DAW.

surely you can’t just do this on the model 12?

I have read a few of the “sticky” posts and it seems that only the model 12 can act as a DAW controller..... very strange.

can someone explain what the “PC mode” actually does on tracks 3 onwards? Doesn’t seem to offer anything?

You have to install the ASIO drivers in Windows and configure Reaper to use the channels.

I’m operating on a Mac book.

I was under the impression you don’t need a ASIO when using a Mac?

I know nothing of Macs (you didn't mention that in your original message) but nevertheless you still need to specify the I/O in Reaper.

I have read a few of the “sticky” posts and it seems that only the model 12 can act as a DAW controller..... very strange.

can someone explain what the “PC mode” actually does on tracks 3 onwards? Doesn’t seem to offer anything?

PC mode is for audio to come from the PC into the mixer for mixing.

It's not "very strange" that the Model 12 is the only Model with DAW control - it's a well known fact. The Model 12 is the latest version of the Model series and is the only one that is totally digital. It was designed from the ground up to be a DAW controller while the previous 2 were not.

You can still use the mixer to mix tracks from the DAW by using PC mode on each channel.

On a Mac, you can configure whatever channels you want to use as a return for your computer audio. Look in your audio/midi setup for audio channels. There’s no need to use ASIO at all (I’m not sure it even works in the OS).

Inside your DAW (whichever one you’re using), you’ll also be able to configure ins/outs for your audio.

I use a Model 16 on a MacBook Pro.

Edited for clarity/additional info

Reactions: kusstard35
Thanks blue monster.

I use reaper as a DAW and I have tried routing each track in reaper to my individual channels on the model 16 but doesn’t seem to work. I’m obviously doing something wrong somewhere lol.

I can get it to work on channels 1 & 2 but can’t seem to get the other channels working. All channels are selected to “PC mode” and have selected “model 16” in my reaper preferences so it’s connected.... but still no goal

In Reaper you have to setup the input source and the range.

You're welcome! I hope this works out for you (it will - you'll get there!).

Also, if your channels are in PC mode, they are receiving audio, not sending it. You may wish to try to send something to Reaper to record (use Live mode) and then listen back to it on PC mode.

Reactions: kusstard35
Cool. Yes I’m sure I will get there in the end.

I have basically exported the WAV stems from my model 16 into reaper. Put them all on separate tracks in reaper (so I can use all my plug ins etc) and I want to send the separate tracks through my individual channels on the model 16 and control the levels/eq through there.

Im sure I will get there in the end

Last edited:
Yep - out of Reaper into the channels on your M16 (setting those channels in Reaper to correspond with where they're going on your M16), then flip the switch to PC and you should hear your recorded material through the board.

Keep us posted on how it comes along!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.