Model 16 - copy to cd

Aldo66

From
Scotland
Gear owned
Tascam Model 16,,
Hello there, I currently use a TASCAM DP03 portastudio. I do not copy anything to a pc. I record my final mixdown and master as per instructions, i then plug from the RCA outputs at the rear and into a marantz cd recorder. I get great results. Would this be possible on the MODEL 16. I assume i would need a set of XLR - RCA cables to go in to the back of the cd recorder. So it would be XLR main outputs on model 16 in to RCA inputs of cd recorder, obviusly recording a final mixdown. Any help would be appreciated

Model 16 MAIN OUTPUT L/R jacks (professional studio level):
Connectors: XLR-3-32 (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
Nominal output level: +4 dBu
Maximum output level: +22 dBu
Output impedance: 200 Ω

Marantz CD Recorder:
Compare the above to the input requirements of your Marantz.

Last edited:
Hello, I appreciate your response. This is the info I have for the cd recorder. Maybe you can help me with the info :
AUDIO
Frequency Response ............................................................................ 20 Hz - 20 kHz Playback S/N ......................................................................................... 105 dB Playback Dynamic Range ...................................................................... 96 dB Playback Total Harmonic Distortion ....................................................... 90 dB Recording S/N (analog) ......................................................................... 90 dB Recording Dynamic Range (analog) ...................................................... 92 dB Recording Total Harmonic Distortion (analog) ....................................... 84 dB
Analog Output Voltage ........................................................................... 2 Vrms
Digital Coaxial Output ............................................................................ 0.5 V (p-p)/75 Ω Digital Optical Output ............................................................................. - 20 dB
Headphones .......................................................................................... 0 - 5 Vrms/ 8 - 2000 Ω
Recording values for line input
Digital Coaxial Input (automatic sample rate conversion) ....................... 32 - 48 kHz
Digital Optical Input (automatic sample rate conversion) ........................ 32 - 48 kHz Analog Input .......................................................................................... 560 mVrms/ 50 kΩ

What's the model number of your Marantz CD recorder?

The last "analog input: 560mVrms/50kOhms" is the only relevant spec, but it doesn't convert to any standard line level input spec that I'm aware of. By my calculation, 560mVrms equates to about -42dBu, a very odd spec. If my calculation is accurate, then the Model 16 at a nominal +4dBu would significantly overdrive the Marantz.

Maybe Blue Monster 65 or mj can add their thoughts.

Last edited:
Hello again , cd recorder is a Marantz Dr6000. You are probably right , it is a consumer grade recorder, it worked ok with my DP03 probably because it has RCA outputs . I will need to copy the stereo master file to a pc then , i Imagine that’s the only way to do it and probably the easiest way. Thanks for your insight anyway, I appreciate it

Reactions: Mark Richards
The Model 16 can work in a higher resolution than the CD recorder. If you keep everything at 16/44.1k that is fine. But if you want to work in 24/48k then recording onto a CD recorder will still produce a 16/44.1 product.

That is true. Do not think I can use model 16 with my cd recorder anyway, because of output and input issues. Mark is right. It’s a pity because , with the DP03 it was really easy to get recorded material on to a compatible source to listen to on other devices. But you are also right in that I was loosing audio quality and resolution in what I was doing. So can I ask , and I am probably showing my ignorance here, once I have this WAV file and I copy it to a pc, do I not need to alter that file in order to listen it on various sources hence loosing audio resolution ie. mp3, AAC etc, or will these files play by default on other sources. I would like to know what everyone does with all there recorded material, thanks for reply

Reactions: -mjk-
@Aldo66 the DP03 only operates at 16/44.1k, so it only makes a difference with the newer machine. I work at 24/48k and I put wav files on my phone and PC for listening. Everything that I know of can play wav files.

New threads

Members online