Model 16: more bass when channel is panned, phase issue?

deadcruiser

Gear owned
tascam model 16
Hi All,

Just received a new model 16.

When i make a simple setup, for instance just a SM57 in channel one, which through the main LR-out ends up playing from the PA (HK audio), then the bass (possibly all frequencies, but bass is more noticable) gets increasingly louder if i pan channel one increasingly more to the left or right. The same problem occurs with different inputs, for instance a stereo signal from my computer going into the 11/12 stereo channel.

When i try the same setup (same mic and same PA system), on our old mixer (mackie 1604 vlz pro), this problem does not occur.

Maybe there is a phase issue?

Any pointers as to what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Tim

ps: i tried searching the forum but didnt really find anything in this direction, sorry if a similar question has already been answered.

Reactions: -mjk-
That's what it sounds like, Tim. I would start with whatever you are using to monitor the signals. Believe it or not, I once did a session in a studio that had the nearfield monitors reversed. I swapped the wires on one side and the bass/snare/kick/lead vocal suddenly came back. They had been working like that for years apparently. It may be as simple as a mis-wired cable going to your monitors or headphones. I would also try making a quick mix, exporting it and taking a listen on another system, like the car stereo with Bluetooth. That would tell you if you're hearing a drastically different spectrum on the other system.

Reactions: deadcruiser
Typically, with a pan potentiometer the center position is 3 dB less than either full left or full right. So that might be a factor also.

One of the xlr-cables connecting the mixer to the PA had 'alternative' wiring on the inside ...

Thanks for the answers, the problem turned out to be not very TASCAM related, but it does help to be pointed in the right direction when feeling like the problem might be anything!

For future reference in case you think you might have this problem: no means here to measure the dB difference, but panned hard left or right, the bass would almost be shaking the room, while panned to the middle, there would be close to no bass; so definitely >3 dB difference
Probably important to note that the PA has a separate subwoofer. Maybe it sums the low frequencies coming in from the left and right, making the phase issues very clear

All the best!

Last edited:
the problem turned out to be not very TASCAM related, but it does help to be pointed in the right direction when feeling like the problem might be anything!

That's quite alright. Glad it turned out well in the end and was an easy fix. Thank you for posting the resolution so it can add to the knowledge base.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.