Model 16 Overdubbing Problem

sepireverb

Gear owned
none yet, looking at seve
Longtime KORG D888 user, moving to the Model16 (I hope) but I'm having a lot of trouble sorting out how to use this as I expected it could be.

I work alone. Till today I have recorded onto the KORG D888, transferred those tracks to the computer, mixed in Logic, and then bounced out a mix that was placed on two tracks of the KORG and I would overdub on the remaining blank tracks.

So I can get things transferred to the Model 16 easily enough, and can record tracks, but I cannot manage to get beyond having all tracks playing at their recorded level coming out of the headphones. The EQ works, but no panning, and no fader adjustments have any effect. I'm not used to having to set a level that will need to remain constant throughout the entire overdubbing process - I can adjust fader levels and balance when overdubbing on the KORG, and really kind of need to be able to do this on the Model16.

I've been through a bunch of videos trying to sort this out, I am clearly missing some very basic thing.

Further research has not really gotten me anywhere. Pan never has worked once for anything, when faders do work they make some adjustment, but only a very minor one, like 2dB of change, never silent at null and never at all loud even when at full. I am hoping I will not need to go from the main outputs to my headphones if I want to hear a mix?

I have read in one thread that this is not a unit that can be used for overdubbing, so maybe I have made a super stupid mistake in getting this.

Sounds like you might have one (or more?) of the track PFL buttons pressed down and you are perhaps hearing the monitor bus.

be sure all PFL lights (including the little one by the screen are OFF)

Also be sure the tracks are all sending to main bus (press each main button).

I’ve been through the PFL AFL buttons over and over again. I’m just too damn old for this thing.

Let’s just close this thread. I’m giving it to a friend of mine to use, I’m done. I’ll get another D888.

Hang in there… once you get it it’s a great product.

Turn all three aux knobs on all the channel's all the way down (for now).

make sure all the switches at the top of the channels are set to MTR (so that the recorded tracks play through).

make sure SD playback button is not depressed

Ah hey sorry my second reply didn’t send right away. I feel guilty I was rushing and not helping you. Anyway all good sometimes ya gotta stick with a device you mesh with. It’s all about the music anyway. Best of luck sir.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks. This has been enlightening, the pressure to stay current is now released for good.

I have read in one thread that this is not a unit that can be used for overdubbing
Not so: The Model series (12/16/24) is a FOH (Front of House) mixer with multitrack recording/mixdown capability and D.A.W. interaction. The Model Series has an on-board "MTR" (MultiTrack Recorder) with straight forward "overdubbing"; "punch in"; and "auto-punch" capability.
I cannot manage to get beyond having all tracks playing at their recorded level coming out of the headphones...EQ works, but no panning, and fader adjustments have no effect...never silent at null and never loud even when at full...hoping I will not need to go from the main outputs to my headphones if I want to hear a mix...I’m giving it to a friend of mine to use, I’m done.
This is professional level gear; not a plug 'n play recorder. Studying and having a good understanding of the signal flow shown in the OM Block Diagram is essential to determining if FOH mixers like these will meet your needs; and to using these mixers effectively.

Also addressed here.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online