Model 16: Phantom power on Line input jacks?

Jibeji

Hello,
I am thinking about buying a Tasam Model 16.
As Phantom Power is globally enabled on all inputs with one switch, I am wondering whether 48V is present on Line input jacks (which will for sure destroy the equipments plugged on those jacks...)
I can't find a clear answer in the manual.
Thanks for your help.

Hello @Jibeji,
there is a difference between MIC (XLR) and LINE (TRS jack) input, the answer is in the OM:

1sUJnBn.png

In the diagram block you will see a dotted line that connects +48V to XLR MIC inputs only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jibeji and shredd
Hello @Max Relic,
Thank you for your answer, it was confusing to me.
As per the block diagram, 48V is present on Line Inputs 1-8 (directly connected to the XLR), but not on stereo channel, contrarily as what it is written in the manual.
The dotted lines probably mean that there is no direct connection between XLR and TRS as shown in the diagram.

shredd, I RTFM many times but it is confusing...

Last edited:
Wait. Wait. You're suggesting that the O/M - translated to English from Chinese by retarded aliens using AI designed for writing espresso recipes - isn't clear, concise, and applicable to the end user???

Personally, the last TASCAM O/M I got that was worth a bag of pucks was my 2488neo. Every other one makes using the product similar to flying the space shuttle using a comic book as a training manual.

This is why @Phil Tipping's DP manual the most valuable piece of literature since the phone book (if you own a DP).

Shocking, right? It's like having to explain what it means to "google it".../s :rolleyes::p
Well I would not be so sure, on a Tascam manual sometimes it's hard to tell if the answer is there or not if you haven't got the Enigma secret keyword beforehand :)
In this case we hare happy to see that the answer needs no decoding whatsoever, a MIC input is XLR and can be phantom powered while Line jack not. Page 21-23 OM.
It's more like having to point someone to one result out of 1000 in a Google search where all the snippets quote apparently the same words :LOL:

Reactions: Jibeji
Hello @Max Relic,
Thank you for your answer, it was confusing to me.
As per the block diagram, 48V is present on Line Inputs 1-8 (directly connected to the XLR), but not on stereo channel, contrarily as what it is written in the manual.
The dotted lines probably mean that there is no direct connection between XLR and TRS as shown in the diagram.

It is confusing because it's not as detailed as the schematic diagram (never seen it). After looking at the block diagram for 20 times I'm starting to doubt that phantom power could go to TRS jacks too... :D

Oh nooooo don't tell me that :D

Edit: you know what? I'll go to the store with a DMM ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic
Confirmed with a DMM, Phantom power is *not* present on the TRS input jacks.

So I went home with my DMM and also... a Model 16 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: Max Relic

New threads

Members online