Model 16 : Pro Tools vs Reaper

steveinohio

Hi guys. I’m relatively new to home recording. I have a model 16 and I’m trying to decide between pairing it with PT or Reaper. I’m leaning towards PT to start. Reaper seems like it’s superior in many ways. PT just seems like the learning curve will not be as harsh. What are your thought?

I think if you want a simple learning curve you may want to look at Studio One. No matter what, tho, you’ll have to put some time in to learn the basics and beyond.

If you want a DAW that looks, acts, and sounds like a real analog console, check out Mixbus6 by Harrison Consoles (pictured in my avatar). It's the only DAW I've ever been comfortable using for mixing and mastering. The user manual is excellent, and the Harrison staff are knowledgeable and quick to respond to questions.

I run it on a Win10 Dell Inspiron 3793 laptop.

However, I run it stand-a-lone. I'm not trying to interface it with a Model 12/16/24.

Last edited:
CakeWalk by Bandlab is free, and supported by the DAW integration on the Model 12 etc. I like it, and although I have nothing to compare it to, it seems pretty intuitive to use. There's lots of training material on YouTube too: search for the channel Creative Sauce, that's a good place to get started.

I downloaded and started using Reaper with the Model 16. Reaper has a 60 free trial that is completely functioning with nothing blocked, or altered. I also just took advantage of the $19 USD deal on Mixbus (Thanks for the link, Blue MOnster!). I look forward to playing with them both and seeing which are most enjoyable. I almost originally got Mixbus because it looks really intuitive, and is supposed to have very good sound quality. I downloaded Reaper, though, because I saw it was made in Rosendale, New York, a small village i used to live in!

Reactions: -mjk-
You’re welcome!

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with any DAW these days, as long as you put the time into it and learn how it works for you.

Have fun!

I scrolled through most of the DAW previews last month, in a quest to find one that “clicks”

I settled On Reaper as my favorite. Simple, clean and logical. Most actions I wanted to to just seem to work the way I expect. By no means am I cracking more than 5% of what it can do but I figure I will get there.

And then thanks (make that huge Thanks!) to you guys I found Mixbus- absolutely LOVE this DAW especially for making final mixes of my band tracks captured on my Model 12. And Mixbus was super easy to figure out due to the track lineup visual metaphor. I do find it a little less intuitive than Reaper for more creative editing of individual clips. But for straightforward mixing and “mastering” am getting incredible results.

Suspect I will end up using both of these...Reaper for making drum and keys loops and more complex edits, and Mixbus for mainstay mixing down of tracks from the band.

Last edited:
...Mixbus because it looks really intuitive, and is supposed to have very good sound quality.
It's a common misunderstanding that there would be a difference in 'sound quality' between DAWs. Not true - and actually impossible (for the given DAWs that exist - a worse sounding DAW could be programmed if one really wanted). A DAW is a sophisticated calculator that works with audio. If two DAWs work at 64 bits under the hood (which most do) and you let them do exactly the same, the outcome will also be exactly the same.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I wonder about this... i suppose Mixbus has the “baked in” elements (channel strip EQ, compressors, tape saturation) could be replicated elsewhere with plug ins?

but what about more fundamental maths - the “summation” of several tracks - could there not be different mathematical treatments of the data that while “working” can result in different qualities of sound?

Agree generally with Arjan.

Mixbus uses proprietary algorithms based on Harrison's large format analog and digital consoles. That includes an analog tape saturation algorithm which to my ears, over my reference system, works as advertised. That along with the straightforward console design/workflow, is what sold me.

Last edited:
I'm sure the same rule applies as with other audio gear and elsewhere in life: I, with the the most expensive DAW, will not sound as good as a good producer with the cheapest DAW.

I use Reaper. So far, there isn't anything I've needed to do (including spectral editing) that Reaper cannot do. If I didn't use a console for mixing I probably would be using Mixbus to mix in the box. We use specialized software for Mastering so it makes sense to have an optimized setup for Recording, Mixing and Mastering.

but what about more fundamental maths - the “summation” of several tracks - could there not be different mathematical treatments of the data that while “working” can result in different qualities of sound?
This part is what my answer was focused on - this is where all DAWs are the same. If you take two digital wave files, both at the same volume level and the fader at 0 dB, the outcome of that mix will be the same in all DAWs because it is maths (given that calculations take place at the same resolution, hence the mentioned 64 bits).

Mixbus uses proprietary algorithms based on Harrison's large format analog and digital consoles. That includes an analog tape saturation algorithm which to my ears, over my reference system, works as advertised.
This is indeed where DAWs are different, with Harrison having partly dedicated proprietary hardware and dedicated algorithms. Or included proprietary plugins for metering and EQ, compression and effects, where IMO Cubase is very strong. But there is no good or bad sounding DAW.

Thanks for Mixbus info!

I have free Studio One Artist w/ one of my small interfaces but have yet to learn it.

Honestly Mixbus looks more my speed and for $20 I'm going to buy it and give it a shot. Maybe it's a bit less powerful--but if I wanted to trade off simplicity and ease-of-use for powerful high level functions, I wouldn't own a Model 12!

I think that's a good approach. All these DAWs are way more powerful than I will ever need :D and simpler is better. I have started the learning curve with Cakewalk and will stick with it, but Mixbus does look like a good place to start.

Been using Reaper since I got the model 12. Just downloaded Cakewalk and Mixbus based on this thread. I do like the format of cakewalk and the daw controller interaction with the model 12 but not a fan of the export function when it comes to exporting multiple songs from on long band session. Mix us look promising, though I bought the $19 sale version and was surprised at every turn when adding FXs it prompts for a license number and takes me to there website to buy them. No exactly what I was expecting.

Using plug in manager in Mixbus, try all the pre loaded ACE plug ins - they are free. Gives you about a dozen to work with right out of the gate. Plus mixbus has their proprietary EQ and compressors already “loaded” on the channel strips....this is the “special sauce” of mixbus in my view.

You also get a few basic but very workable midi instruments and drum kits.

the AVA and XT plugins are premium items exclusive to Harrison, but you have to buy from Harrison.

Of course you can also download tons of
Plugins on line...

and if you can find the directory holding the plugins that come with The other DAWs you downloaded, I think you can point Mixbus to that directory, and vice versa.

Been using Reaper since I got the model 12.

Nothing beats the free plug-ins that come with Reaper, IMO.

Reactions: CLane.Studio
The interesting thing about Harrison's XT $$ plug-ins: even though the license notice pops up randomly while the plug-in is open on the screen, most are fully functional. It's only a minor inconvenience having to click past the reminder occassionally while it's open.

Being fully functional, it's easy to see which are most useful to your workflow and production needs, and they can't be beat for ease of use.

Harrison periodically puts the plug-ins on sale. Just before the holidays had them selling for $1.00 each with the $19 sale purchase of Mixbus.

I've purchased several Harrison XT production plug-ins that get used literally for every mix. I also use a few of Harrison's free ACE plug-ins, some of Reaper's; and a few freebies that I've d/l'd from various sites.

Melodyne 5 also integrates seamlessly as a plug-in with Mixbus6.

(ps - no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer)

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.