Model 16 : Questions about mix down and faders

Aldo66

From
Scotland
Gear owned
Tascam Model 16,,
I have a bunch of tracks recorded on the model 16 and I am ready for mixdown . My question is:
Should I always have the main fader set fully up and adjust using track faders, I read that the main fader is at unity gain when up full, is this true. Also with the post record switch above the main fader pressed in this will obviously affect the main faders ability to adjust the overall volume of the recorded signal going to the sd card. Is this also true. These might seem obvious questions but on other machines I used to set the track faders higher and have the stereo main fader about half way. It seems now after reading posts on this forum that this was bad practice. Can anyone enlighten me ?

Proper gain staging is critical to assuring adequate headroom to accomodate fast transient peaks that can cause distortion if not managed and controlled. Track FX, EQ, etc. can exacerbate the issue.

The faders feeding the main bus should always be lower than the main bus fader to help assure the aggregate signal going into and out of the main bus is clean.

The setting for the main bus fader depends on where the unity gain point is located, but should always be at unity gain except for fade in/out.

Don't own one of these Models, but suggest you read through the stickies pinned to the top of this forum to familiarize yourself with a bunch of useful information you'll need to know so you can use your Model 16 effectively.

The stickies' posts are indexed in the first post of each sticky.

There's a wealth of useful information that people have taken a lot of volunter time to gather and organize for the benefit of the community.

I'm confident you'll most likely find there the answers to any of the typical questions that might come up as you begin using your Model 16.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online