Model 16 SD Card Issue 'Card Protect. Change Card'

Jersild83

Gear owned
Tascam Model 16
I recently bought a Model 16, but no matter what SD Card I try (SD, SDHC, SDXC), it tells me 'No Sys File. Would you like one created?' and I click enter. Then the screen says 'Card Protected. Change Card'.

After several hours back and fourth on my computer, formatting and re-trying cards, ensuring the formatting for each card matches Tascam requirements, I gave up and decided to return it. I'm doing an even exchange for a new model, hoping that resolves the issue, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone else has experienced this same problem?

Extremely frustrating and there doesn't seem to be any helpful resources online. Am I the only one who has this issue?

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
Hello @Jersild83. I'd say you're probably the first person on the forum with that model, not to mention the problem. It can't be the SD card lock if you're able to format it on the PC. You didn't say if you tried to format the card in the machine. That's always the best procedure. Next time, try formatting the card in the machine (if you haven't already).

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
Hi @-mjk- - Thank you for the response.

I first took the brand new SD cards out of the packaging and put directly into the Model 16 before turning on. Upon booting up, TASCAM MODEL 16 displayed on screen before the message 'No Sys File. Would you like one created?'. I click Enter and it says 'Card Protected. Change Card' and will not allow me to bypass the screen. I've tried to format the card through the machine but anytime it does recognize a card, the 'No Sys File' message pops up and it doesn't allow me to take any other action.

The cards are read by other similar devices and both PC and Mac computers. I did try formatting the cards 3 times (in both Mac and Windows operation systems) and re-attempting to get the Model 16 to read them, but it always says the same thing 'Card Locked. Change Card'. The cards are not locked and I ensured they weren't by writing directly to them via my computer.

After hours of trying, I decided to send my model back for a replacement. Hopefully the next one doesn't have this issue.

Wow, it sure sounds borked if it won't even allow you to format the SD card, and it also thinks the card is locked. It sounds like you've done everything right. Please let us know how the replacement unit functions. The Model 16 is so new that there is virtually nothing about it on the Forum. Thanks @Jersild83

Also take note of this in your OM p18:

About SD cards
A list of SD cards that have been confirmed for use with this unit can be found on our web site. Please access to a product page of this product from the TEAC Global Site (http://teac-global.com) to find the list or contact the TASCAM customer support service.

Note about formatting
SD cards formatted by this unit are optimized to improve performance during recording. Use this unit to format the SD cards to be used with it. Errors might occur when recording with this unit using an SD card formatted by a computer or other device.

Thanks @Mark Richards - I did read that in the manual & browsed that site and found a list of supported formats (SD, SDH, SDXC) and capacities, but not specific products. Let me know if you happened to spot a list of specific SD cards that are supported, I combed through the site pretty good and couldn't locate it. Since I did have 3 SD cards (SD, SDH and SDXC) all class 10 and supported sizes, I gave up the search, assuming at least one of them should have worked in this machine.

The unit has to recognize the card as being compatible and not locked prior to giving you the option to format. Unfortunately I couldn't get past the initial read that is required to format or take any further action.

@-mjk- The new unit is set to arrive on the 17th, so I will be sure to report back on how the replacement functions. I rarely ever buy anything like this 'brand new', but found a good deal on Black Friday and couldn't pass it up. Very excited to use it, I am really crossing my fingers this new unit won't give me the same issues.

a list of specific SD cards that are supported
Look here (Model 24 SPECIFICATIONS tab) and scroll to bottom.

Should be the same for the Model 16. (Typical TASCAM - asleep at the switch again.)

assuming at least one of them should have worked in this machine.
Others who use TASCAM professional products that use SD cards for storage have found that cards not on the tested/approved list almost always fail at some point with bootup errors or file errors.

Because the SD card manufacturers are constantly tweaking their products, sometimes SD cards that had been tested and approved in the past might become unreliable at some time in the future. That's one of the reasons TASCAM periodically updates the firmware (which they quaintly refer to as "to improve system stability and performance").

Last edited:
Thanks @Mark Richards - appreciate your help locating that.

After reviewing, I can confirm that two out of my three SD cards are listed here as compatible:
  1. SanDisk Extreme SDXC™ UHS-I card (U3, Class10) SDSDXVF-128G-JNJIP*1 128GB
  2. SanDisk SanDisk Ultra® PLUS SDHC™/SDXC UHS-I Memory Card SDSDUSC-032G-JNJIN*1 32GB
I'm glad to know they're supported and should work with my replacement. Also this seems to confirm my unit was in fact defective.

Replacement unit arrived last night. I immediately opened the packaging, put my SD card in the machine and powered on. 'No Sys File. Would You Like One Created?', I click 'Enter' and happy to report NO ERRORS.

Haven't used had time to dig more into it just yet, but the new model seems to be working just fine so far.

Just got a Tascam 24, had same issue, discovered the Sd card slot is malformed or something, the card protect switch gets moved a little bit when I insert it, putting it into protect mode. I put some scotch tape to hold it in place and now I can use it! Idk what is in the slot that could cause that, maybe a little plastic flashing that should have been removed?

I'm about to have a Model 16 serviced for this error and will let you know what the technician discovers. I couldn't resist purchasing a (cosmetically new) unit with this problem on Reverb and Chuck Levin's is an authorized Tascam repair service facility near me in MD. Stay tuned...

Whatever you do, never send a unit to Logical Sound in Georgia for service. I learned the hard way. They did not perform a full test on the problem, told me there was nothing wrong with the machine (which Tascam then replaced with a new unit) and charged me $50 for their incompetence.

New threads

Members online