Model 24 Compresser Problem

robin courtenay

Hello i thought i would download a multitrack sample to get some mixing practice,got it onto the 24 in the mtr folder ok and played it back everything great so far, so i thought a couple of the tracks could use some comp so turned up the comp knobs a bit ,bit more, hit the max, no green indicator lights so tried plugging a mic into channel 1 and switched the mode switch to live and got the green light on. Anyone have any ideas why this is not working while playing back ,am i missing something? All the best Rob.

Just found out that comp only works in live mode so you can't apply it when setting your levels etc for recording mixdown which is a bummer.

Yup... That's right... the compressor only works with incoming analogue sounds. I might have a solution though it might be a bit tedious and won't work for all channels at the same time. I haven't done it myself yet, but I guess you could "bounce" the tracks you want compression on with cables through SUB/MONITOR/FX out's, and back into empty channels and apply compression at that stage... if there is any empty channels left that is. Won't hurt trying.

Reactions: Matthew Fogel
I don't think that's right. The Mode switch selects the input that the compression, equalization, panning etc are applied to, if I've got it right...

According to schematics in the manual:

Everything that comes in via cable in mic-input and line-input passes trough GAIN - LowCut - Compression when in LIVE mode.

When the mode switch is set to PC/USB or MTR, the signal from MTR(SD-card) or PC do NOT go through Gain - LowCut - Compression but directly to EQ - AUX - PAN - Fader.

And inserts on channel 1-2 comes in AFTER Gain - LowCut - Compression, but BEFORE the mode switch, and only in LIVE mode.

You might be right :) but my understanding was that a signal applied to an input goes through Gain/Low Cut, but that everything from Compression onwards applies to any signal source. That's why the Mode switch is on top of the compressor, and not the other way round. The gain stage only affects an input signal (the 'Live' setting) but the rest of the strip applies whatever the Mode switch setting is.

To me, that makes sense from the perspective of starting at the top of the channel strip and working your way down, but that doesn't mean it's right...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Freebird
He... yeah... when one looks at the mixer and follow the channel strip downwards that is what one might think... I did that mistake myself before I checked the schematics. Visually it doesn't make sense at all. It would have been better and more logical from a visual point of view if they had located the compressor nob
ABOVE the mode switch in the channel strip!:)

upload_2020-11-29_1-39-56.png

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.