Model 24 headphone question

adallons

Gear owned
Model 24
I’ve looked through the manual and couldn’t really find an answer for this. When using the headphone jack, I only get track audio if I turn the PFL on for each track, which provides pre-fader audio mix. Is there something I am missing here to get the post fader mains mix sent to the headphones? Or is my unit defective?

Right on page 23 it says:

Connecting headphones Connect headphones to the PHONES jack (standard stereo).
Depending on the PFL switch and AFL switch settings, signals from the MAIN MIX L/R bus and PFL/AFL L/R bus can be monitored.

Connecting headphones Connect headphones to the PHONES jack (standard stereo).
Depending on the PFL switch and AFL switch settings, signals from the MAIN MIX L/R bus and PFL/AFL L/R bus can be monitored.

Yet there are no instructions for doing this in the manual. They point you to the block diagram, but that has not revealed much...

Those are the instructions. Plug in the headphones and use the appropriate button settings for the outcome you need to achieve. The terms PFL, AFL are explained in the user manual. You have 3 busses you can monitor: Main Mix L/R, PFL and AFL. You have to select the bus you want to monitor in the headphones.

Am I the only one who, when buying any new electronic device, reads the manual back to front more than once, and watches YouTube vids on how to use the device ?

Reactions: Logrinn and -mjk-
Nope. I read through, I watched videos, I read forum posts, asked forum questions. It is just beyond my capacity.

I normally read the user manual of equipment I am even considering for purchase.

Connecting headphones Connect headphones to the PHONES jack (standard stereo). Depending on the PFL switch and AFL switch settings, signals from the MAIN MIX L/R bus and PFL/AFL L/R bus can be monitored.
Yet there are no instructions for doing this in the manual. They point you to the block diagram, but that has not revealed much...
I don't own one of these mixers, but looking at the console's channel strip and the OM Block Diagram:
  • Doesn't the channel first have to be assigned to the MAIN L/R Bus circuit or the PFL/AFL L/R bus circuit using the MAIN Bus button or PFL Bus button in order to hear the incoming channel "Live/PC/MTR" signal on the Control Room circuit? and
  • Isn't the channel strip incoming "Live/PC/MTR" signal ~always after the fader~ going to the MAIN L/R bus circuit? and
  • Doesn't the channel strip "PFL" Bus button simultaneously engage the incoming "Live/PC/MTR" channel signal after the EQ, but before the "Mute" switch and before the fader/pan circuit; and send the incoming "Live/PC/MTR" channel signal directly to the PFL/AFL L/R bus circuit; but without disengaging the incoming "Live/PC/MTR" signal from the MAIN L/R bus circuit? and
  • Doesn't engagement of the channel "PFL" Bus button also switch the incoming "Live/PC/MTR" signal going to the Control Room circuit from the MAIN L/R bus circuit to the PFL/AFL L/R bus circuit, thus permitting the channel "PFL" Bus button to serve as a dual channel "solo" function for monitoring the channel's incoming "Live/PC/MTR" signal on the Control Room circuit? and
  • Doesn't engaging the "AFL" Bus buttons on the 2 Monitor bus circuits send the Monitor bus signals to the PFL/AFL L/R bus circuit after the Monitor Bus faders in addition to sending the Monitor Bus signals simultaneously to the Monitor Out jacks?
All that and more can be sussed out by studying the OM Block Diagram.

I find the easier way to read a block diagram initially is to work backwards from where you want to end up, paying close attention to "on/off" switching in the signal path. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.