Model 24 Lots of Crackles

John C Wright

Gear owned
Model 24
I am getting a lot of crackly noise while file is playing-even imported "clean" wav files that were imported. Anybody else with that issue?

Reactions: -mjk-
What are your peak levels?

John, on the imported files, do you hear any noise playing them back on the computer, or other device?

I am getting pops and crackles too. Anything that plays audio back thru the Tascam 24 has the faint pops at any volume. No audio playing, no pops. Anyone figure out what to check?

So far, I've asked 2 questions as part of the troubleshooting process. The last one has not been answered. Yet, still more questions are being asked.

"Anyone figure out what to check?"

No. There is not yet enough information. The noises described could be caused by a number of things in the chain, and until all questions (and subsequent follow-up questions) are answered, there will be no suggested solution.

I'll ask again: does the audio source make such noises when playing through other devices? If you don't know/haven't tried it, that's the next thing to check. If the source is DAW files, export them and listen on another device not using the console. If the tracks play clean, that tells us that the distortion is coming from the console/computer interacting somehow.

Reactions: Dan On Drums
I had to use a different USB cable. I'm operating with Windows. The sound crackled regardless of the source (Pro Tools, YouTube, etc.).

I had that problem a while back. I updated, tried different settings, etc. Ended up getting a new USB cable and the crackling went away. I used one made for DJ'ing; there's a thread about it here somewhere.

Reactions: Bob Ross
For me, this kind of problem went away by pushing the buffer size to the max in the "ModelMixer Setting Panel" (Windows).

New threads

Members online

No members online now.