Model 24 midi in

Jimmy_James

From
Albuquerque
Gear owned
Model 24
When I was deciding on the Model 24, I did a lot of homework. But one thing that totally slipped past me was Midi In. One of the groups I record has a drummer with a Yamaha TD25. I record him with his midi out and my midi in on my Focusrite. I want to eliminate my Focusrite interface altogether. What is the best way to do this?

Model 24 owners, how do you record midi in now? And, can I get something that will allow me to do this and it will perform as well as doing it with a audio interface?

The Model 24 and Model 16 do not record midi. It's used for clock only.

I understand that. That is the problem. I am asking what the best way to record a midi in would be, since the Model 24 does not have midi in. Is there a cheap device, adapter, ect. Some preferred way of doing it?

I think you're stuck with the Focusrite and DAW recording of MIDI.

That looks to be it. You already have the device; no need to buy a new one.

Reactions: -mjk-
just record the kit with the stereo outputs. I don't understand people recording with midi then replacing all the sounds with something else. Most ekits now have hundreds of different sounds, just use those. Rehearse carefully to get each drum's level as you want it balanced with the rest of the kit.
Or, use your focusrite, or return the mixer for a portastudio.

Bazz, I have recorded the stereo outputs in the past and they sound awful. After doing some searching online, I found others complaining of the same thing. The reason I want to record it with midi and then use Superior Drummer, is because it sounds amazing! I can also tweak the performance, do edits fast, it is just better. The outputs on those Yamaha kits are good enough for some live gigs, but not for a professional studio quality sound. Even the owner of the TD25 said "I wish my kit sounded half as good as it does with Superior Drummer 3.

That looks to be it. You already have the device; no need to buy a new one.
Yea, I was just hoping to retire it. I hate using a 18 input interface, just for a midi capture.
I thought the Model 24 users might have a small simple device that they all like to use. Someone pointed me to a cable that has midi built into it, but it does not look like something I can trust. I suppose I will continue to use the Focusrite for now. But down the road, I want to pull it out of my rack and retire it. I will figure out something.

To "record" midi you need a sequencer. I use an AKAI MPC Live.
Just like you record or sequence a midi performance from a keyboard, you can of course do the same with an electronic drom kit.
Then it's just a matter of playing this back from the sequencer.
What sounds you want to use is a matter of preference - the ones built in to the Yamaha (Roland?) TD25 or those in a DAW (Easy Drummer/Superior Drummer/brand X).

The Model 24 hasn't anything to do with this, except of course running all the sounds from external synths, edrum kit, microphones and so on to your speakers.

Reactions: Stew71
Or, if the physical size of the focusrite is the issue, you can pick up a small midi/usb interface to grab the data onto a laptop. I'd imagine pretty much any (old/second hand) interface from the last 10-15 years would manage it well enough. Just set it as a midi in device and run it into whatever DAW you use. Doesn't even need to handle audio.

(Actually, how old are the e-drums? Most kits I've seen in the past few years have a direct midi out via usb. I presume that's not the case with this kit though).

New threads

Members online

No members online now.