Model 24 "Song File Error Cannot Record"

Di Ai

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
I've moved some drum tracks to my computer for some mild editing in Reaper. Afterwards I moved the tracks back to the SD card. I'm able to play the tracks from the Model 24 but when I press record I get a "song file error cannot record." I've tried turning the unit on and off. Seems like if I have just one of these files in a new project it doesn't allow me to record, but it is able to play them back. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Tascam D
I'm having the same issue with my Model 16 and was wondering if you might've found a solution elsewhere? It (record fuction) goes back to usable when I put back the original, unedited/saved, file btw. If that helps you at all.

Reactions: Di Ai
Never figured it out. After getting no replies I figured I need to either mixdown in the DAW or if I want to mixdown with the tascam I need to go DAWless. I ended up putting the original files back and gave up on it. It would certainly be great to figure out a solution though.

"song file error cannot record."
That error message doesn't appear in the most recent Model 24 owner manual to which I referred (v.042862304 dated 10/20/2020).

If you're up to date with the firmware, I suggest contacting Tascam Support through the TASCAM website for a definitive answer.

Since I don't own one of these Front Of House live recording mixers, the only generic advice I can offer if you get no joy from TASCAM is to:

Export your D.A.W. edited tracks and then Import your D.A.W. edited tracks into your song instead of just trying to bring the edited tracks back into the original song by copying the edited tracks back to the SD card; or

Create
a new song and import your D.A.W. edited tracks (along with any other tracks
previously recorded on the Model 24) to the new song and go forward from there.​

There's also a Sweetwater video in the "Tutorial and Informational Videos" sticky thread wherein they demonstrate what they consider to be the best way to record and mix using this hybrid FOH mixer. It's about two thirds of the way into the posts. Maybe there's something in that video that might point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Di Ai
I tried the new song with a test track also and got the same result. Mine wasn't/isn't as prominent as drum tracks (it's a back up vocal, someone else did... can't just redo/long story), so I'm mixing the song on the Tascam, then going to just add the edited track later on the DAW. Not the best way, but better than just sitting on it any longer. Going to keep an eye on this thread and still do some research though. I'll post a possible solution when/if I find one. Thanks... and there's ALWAYS another way

Last edited:
Since a wav-file contains not only audio data but also metadata, could it be that the metadata gets updated in the DAW, but that Tascam now no longer recognises it/can’t handle it, if you just copy it back to the Tascam? Shouldn’t this kind of action instead be carried out by importing the wav-file back into the Tascam instead of just copying it back onto the SD-card?

If for instance you have three audio files in the Tascam and there’s metadata added and handled by Tascam keeping track of these files, then it would be logical to assume that if you copy file#2 into a DAW, manipulate it and then try to copy the file back into the Tascam it would now no longer ”fit”?
But if you instead import the file back into the Tascam the metadata for these files get updated and makes room for the new version of the file.

One shouldn’t forget that there are many different versions of wav-files out there. The ”normal” old type, the RF64 type, broadcast wav and so on.
If a wav file is put into a DAW from a SD card and manipulated, this file has to be saved back to the card before we can take the card back to the Tascam again. So does the DAW save the file to something the Tascam recognises and accepts?

The above scenarios is something I see daily in my work with audio books where publisher send all sorts of strange wav files - but then again - I might be completely wrong in my assumptions here.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.