Model 24 Trying to record multitrack playback to DAW

MikeyT

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24
Hi All,

Only have this desk a few weeks and getting to grips with it slowly but surely.

I have looked around the forum and read the manual on this and I have had no joy so far.

Hopefully somebody here can help me out. I know that I can put the unit into storage mode and import the multi track files into my DAW which is Logic Pro X but I have not seen any mention of a way to record the multi channel playback from the desk into the DAW

For example I have a recording on the sd card in the desk of drums on tracks 1-5.

I would like to play these five tracks from the desk and record them into tracks 1-5 in logic with inputs 1-5 selected for each channel. Also at the same time would it be possible to record a live guitar track on track 6?

So far when I record in the daw and press play on the desk I can get logic to record anything I play live on track 6 but it looks like playback on tracks 1-5 does not get sent from the desk to the DAW. Is this even possible to do? Or is it that SD card playback is not sent via USB to the DAW and the only way to get audio from SD card recordings is to use storage mode to transfer them.

Thanks in advance for any help. I hope this question makes sense if not I would be happy to give more details.

Regards,
Mick

I'm not sure I understand.
Why would you record something on the Model 24 and then record it again on your DAW?
Why not do the recording you need in the Tascam and then move the SD card to your computer and do your editing/additional recording/mastering/automation/processing in your computer?

Or am I missing something?

Hm... I'm a bit confused too. Are you saying that you first record instruments on the Model 24 on tracks 1-5, and then want track 1-5 to only do a playback while you simultaneously record ONLY another instrument into the DAW...?

Why have the instruments on track 1-5 on Model 24 and the other instrument recorded only in the DAW?

As Logrinn says... why not do ALL recordings on Model 24 and then transfer the channels to the DAW when the song is finished.

Am I also missing something?

To me... the point with recording everything in Model 24 is to get away from the LATENCY you have to deal with recording channel by channel direct into the DAW. I haven't even tried to have Model 24 as a "playback" and at the same time record another channel direct to DAW since I can't see any reason to why I should make things more complicated.

Occasionally I will record a new instrument direct to DAW if I need to... but at that time I already have all the tracks migrated to the DAW, so no need to have "playback" from Model 24.

A thought... Do you have the "input selector" set to MTR? Are all input channels in the DAW routed to receive sound from channel 1-5 on Model 24?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
@MikeyT it doesn't work the way you describe. You can't play tracks recorded to SD card from Model 24 and have those recorded to the DAW. You can only record live to the DAW. To get those already recorded SD card tracks, you will enter USB storage mode and copy them (or remove the SD card and insert it into a card reader in the computer to copy them).

For example I have a recording on the sd card in the desk of drums on tracks 1-5.

I would like to play these five tracks from the desk and record them into tracks 1-5 in logic with inputs 1-5 selected for each channel. Also at the same time would it be possible to record a live guitar track on track 6?

In theory, yes.

SD card playback IS NOT sent to DAW.... but track data (even prerecorded track data) IS sent to DAW, as far as I know.

If so, you might be able to add them to your song as tracks via import (do a manual search for "importing") and then set the channel to MTR, and I think it would then play back.

It makes more sense to add them directly to the DAW, or to do all the recording on the tascam and then transfer, but that's up to you.

In that case, it's always more desirable to export tracks from a digital recorder and import them into the DAW. No issues associated with recording audio, and no issues later with editing because all the tracks line up perfectly.

Reactions: Mark Richards
@MikeyT it doesn't work the way you describe. You can't play tracks recorded to SD card from Model 24 and have those recorded to the DAW. You can only record live to the DAW. To get those already recorded SD card tracks, you will enter USB storage mode and copy them (or remove the SD card and insert it into a card reader in the computer to copy them).

@MikeyT I was mistaken. You CAN do it the way you want. I just did that, the DAW I was using was Cubasis 2 on an iPad. In your example, make sure tracks 1-5 on your desk are set to MTR mode, and track 6 is set to live input mode. In Logic, create 6 tracks with inputs to match the tracks on the Tascam, and put them all in record mode. Play on the desk, and record in Logic and that should do it.

Wait, you're saying i can record a bunch of tracks on my model 24 to an SD card. Then i could play those back INTO a daw in real time? becuase i cant get that to work, but that would be great! I could use my DAW just for effects.

@MikeyT I was mistaken. You CAN do it the way you want. I just did that, the DAW I was using was Cubasis 2 on an iPad. In your example, make sure tracks 1-5 on your desk are set to MTR mode, and track 6 is set to live input mode. In Logic, create 6 tracks with inputs to match the tracks on the Tascam, and put them all in record mode. Play on the desk, and record in Logic and that should do it.

I don't see how this can work... in the block diagram, only the live signal goes out on a track's send and therefore only the live signal can be sent to the DAW. The MTR return enters the track right *after* the send.

I'll still give it a try though when I get chance just in case!

"Then i could play those back INTO a daw in real time? " -- I'm also looking to do this exact thing... I just want to use the odd plugin on my computer, but ultimately have all my recorded tracks stay on the Tascam.

I'll try what singaiya said this evening.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.