Modes that work best for you Native, Mackie or HUI

Discussion in 'Firewire PC Audio Interfaces and Control Surfaces' started by Steve Fogal, May 6, 2018.

1. Steve Fogal

Steve Fogal New Member

California
    Gear:
    FW 1884, FW-1082
    I have a TASCAM FW-1884 interface/controller. I've not got much use of it as a controller beyond transport functions in the last year or more since I got it.

Of the controller mode protocols to choose from, Native Control, Mackie Control & HUI Control. I have the Tascam set to it's 'Native Control' & Cubase 8 set to TASCAM US-428 (what I believe is the closet thing to my Tascams Native Controller protocol?), as there is no TASCAM FW-1884 listed in Cubase 8.

Native Control seems to give me some basic functions, but not as much control as Mackie & HUI modes provide, though these last 2 modes have caused some weird things when I tried them, like 'bleep sounds' from a VSTi sample whenever I'm on a Midi or Instrument Track, and once a key change when I touched something on the board (thought I moved a fader or something?), so I went with less functionality of boards various buttons with using the 'Native' Tascam mode ever since, which has never given this strangeness. Maybe I just have to play around with the different modes more, and/or may have to learn how to tweak whichever mode (if possible), to work best? The 'bleeps' never happen when I'm on a selected Audio Track.

I'd THINK that Steinberg would have included a TASCAM FW-1884, FW-1082 or FW-1804 mode for the Tascam FW series units, since they DO include a TASCAM US-428 mode. Or is the US-428 the same thing as the FW-1884 Native mode?
    And if I'm really supposed to be using either Mackie or HUI modes, why I'm I getting strangeness, like the bleeps from VSTi's while I'm on an Instrument or Midi Track?
  2. Steve Fogal

Steve Fogal New Member

California
    Gear:
    FW 1884, FW-1082
    Ok, I've found that Cubase actually has another Tascam mode besides the US-428, which is a Tascam DM-24 (HUI) mode. I hadn't noticed this mode before, but it's been over a year since I've looked last, and have been using the Tascam US-428 mode in Cubase with Native FW-1884 mode with the Tascam, which has very little functionality beyond simple transport functions.

With Cubase's DM-24 (HUI) mode & the Tascam FW-1884 HUI Emulation mode, this seems to be the best combination after having fiddling around, back & fourth with every possible combination of modes for about 3 hours. And to my surprise, this mode combination actually allows the Forward & Rewind buttons on the Tascam to keep moving after just a momentary press of the buttons. With all other mode combinations I have to press & hold the Forward & Rewind buttons to keep moving.

As far as I can tell, the only other combination that works similarly well as the Tascam DM-24/HUI Emulation, is Cubase's Mackie HUI mode/Tascam's HUI Emulation, but so far the only difference I have found is that it does not allow the Forward & Rewind buttons to be momentarily pressed and keep moving, I have to keep holding them down.

There are a few combinations of modes that had produced annoying 'bleep sounds' from triggering samples of VSTi's on just about every button on the Tascam FW-1884, Mackie mode being the worst culprit of that, although it does provide control over many functions. Others modes also produce bleep sounds, but have no functionality at all.

I also had forgotten that the Tascam FW-1884 has 2 Cubase modes, Cubase LE mode & Cubase SX/Nuendo mode, but neither have any functionality at all with any mode I've selected in Cubase. I'm now wondering if there is a download for a custom Tascam FW-1884 mode floating around somewhere that can be added to Cubase.
  3. GuitarHero79

GuitarHero79 New Member

Gear:
    FW-1082
    I know this thread is old, but I want to let people know that the FW-1082 is fully working with Adobe Audition CS6 in mackie mode. Switch the unit to mackie mode, activate mackie mode in Audition, select FW-1082 Control as your midi input AND output, and voila! EVERYTHING ON THE UNIT FUNCTIONS AS IT SHOULD.
    Steve Fogal likes this.
  4. Steve Fogal

Steve Fogal New Member

California
    Gear:
    FW 1884, FW-1082
    Considering that these Tascam units are older, and any discussion about them is for the record/archives, anything that can be added as to best use them, and in what mode works best for you is all good.