MOTU LP-32 ADAT alternate for lack of Firewire Support for Apple Silicon Macs

Scott_V

Gear owned
DM-4800
Like many others have already shared; I have been hoping for a IF-FW/DM MKII Firewire driver update that will support the new generation of Mac's with the Apple Silicon Chips (M1/M2 so far). I continue such hope, since the Apple future is the M-series of chips on the Mac platform, and most of us want to continue the use of our DM-3200 & DM-4800 boards long into the future.

I'm considering an alternate interim plan to stay in the digital domain between the board and computer which would be the use of the MOTU LP-32 USB/AVB Interface w/ ADAT; connected to the DM on-board ADAT interface providing 8 channels of I/O with my Mac (running Apple Logic Pro). Has anyone done this by chance yet? And if not, does anyone see aa problem with this not working as hoped to provide at least 8 channels of digital I/O w/ the Mac?

Note: it would be nice if there was a 24-channel TDIF to USB interface (to provide more channels of I/O), but I can not find anything modern solution that would provide that capability.

Thank you,
Scott

Reactions: mixerizer
if you only need 8 channels of I/O take a look at the USBStreamer. That's what I'm using right now.

With the Motu LP-32, that would work as well. Matter of fact you could also snag a used MOTU 2408 MKIII for around $150, and use it to convert 24 channels of TDIF to ADAT, then have those 24 ADAT go into the LP32, along with the built in ADAT ports on the unit itself. Then you could have a full 32x32 channels of I/O

The setup I'm most likely going with soon is the IF/FWDMMKii into a 2012 Mac Mini, Then from the mac mini over AVB into an RME Digiface AVB. The advantage of this setup is I can have full 32x32 I/O up to 96k. With the ADAT setup mentioned previously you can only get 16x16 I/O at 96K

Thank you Nick for the excellent suggestions. I did look into the USBStreamer, but think I'll got forward with the MOTU path. Your helpful suggestion of considering a 2408 MKIII is excellent - I was unaware of that clever solution path for translating 3x8ch of TDIF into 3x8ch of ADAT. I really appreciate your reply and help.

Thank you,
Scott

No worries, glad I could help! Keep in mind btw - If your only planning on working at 44.1 or 48k, the 2408 MKII will work fine, but if you want to go up to 96k you'll need the MKIII

I can recommend MOTU highly - whether an LP32, 112D or what have you, u can convert from all kinds of formats to and from TDIF to use those i/o channels on the board as well as with the expansion slots. Enjoy!

Note - for 24ch, u will need two MOTU 2408 units - one for 24ch ADAT -> TDIF and one for 24ch TDIF -> ADAT. The units are unidirectional.

You may also need to use a word clock cable on one of the two interfaces.

Last edited:
@Rockum - I believe we've spoken about this before, and I've tried this setup but have run into problems. Here is where I'm at right now.

- The first solution I thought of was Dante Via (Via can act as a clock source) to connect the computer together. However, Via has 10ms of latency, which is unusable for tracking.
- You could run 2 instances of DVS, which has 4ms of latency, but DVS cannot be its own clock source in Dante which results in loads of pops and clicks due to there being no clock.

My plan as of right now is to get either the Motu 8D or LP32 which allows 32 channels of AVB between the unit and the computer connected to the console. Then my main computer is then connected to the Motu via USB.

Can you elaborate on how your rig is setup? Would be very helpful. Thanks

Just to clarify AVB before Rockum elaborates - yup with MOTU devices the AVB format is used over the network, the RJ45 jack is on the interface and the audio enters/leaves the host computer via the USB or TB. The Mac isn’t needed for the audio to work, just the daw functions.

Rockum’ s approach is different, and works also - if I understand correctly, unlike using a dedicated hardware interface it requires the computer to be on and on the network at all times, serving as both the daw and audio I/o converters dante interface and eliminating the need for separate i/o converters. Using hardware converters (AVB or Dante) like MOTU or others allow you to do it with or without a computer being part of the loop.

Re MOTU: Since you only need 8x8 from the board’s internal ADAT port, if u go MOTU you may wanna consider a more generic all-purpose MOTU unit with fewer ADAT ports but with a few different types of i/o including one built in ADAT port - like the 624 or the Ultralite AVB. The ultralite is older, and has less AVB bandwidth but I have them both and both are solid.

If you are looking at replacing the firewire card in the DM (which can do 32x32 on one slot) u are looking at a reduced # of channels on that slot, since other cards are generally 8x8, but the scenario you describe will work using either networked audio method if I understand what you want to do correctly. Looking forward to the conversation (and your plan) unfolding!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online

No members online now.