MS-16 Tape Deck no playback on some channels

bluezplaya

From
Alabama
Gear owned
Tascam 48
I'm trying to get some of the channels working on my Tascam and have noticed that some channels ( like 13 and 14) will get input signal, meters jump, etc, when input metering is engaged. When I track to these channels they seem to be recording, but there is nothing on the playback. I have heard in other forums that these channel cards are notorious for having to be reseated to make a solid connection. I've tried to do that with no luck. Just wondering if anyone has any insight to this problem.

Hey! I'd be suspect of the cards themselves. Have you tried swapping cards? be sure to label each one, I used to swap cards all the time. I have a couple cards and an old machine on ebay if that helps. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Evan. I actually figured out what the problem was. These channel cards are notorious for the relays going bad in them. I've got 32 relays on order from Mouser.com. Each card has two relays on them, one for the record, one for sync. The problem is when the relays go bad, you will get signal jumping on the meter and going into the card but the relay does not switch the signal over to the record side to capture and print to tape, and of course there's nothing to hear on playback. It is recommended to change out all of the relays whether they are working or not because all of them will eventually fail. And at $2.71 each, you can replace the whole unit with brand new for about $80.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.