Msr 16 Dolby s cards

Antony

Gear owned
Dm4800 msr16
Hi.
A couple of my Dolby s cards have gone, ie there’s popping on those tracks. Does anyone know of a fix or the name/make serial number of the cards to see if I can track some down.

thanks
Antony.

Hello,
AFAIK, Dolby S cards in the Tascam 238S were cursed with poor SMD elkos, which leak elektrolite that distroys the entire circuit. This is the case wit almost all 238S..If these cards are similar to those in the MSR16, which is possible, the issue can be the same. If this is the case, examine the board, remove the SMD elkos, rinse it and replce them with new ones. It is possible that part of the wiring and some other components got hit too..so be prepared.

Last edited:
I have a unit like that here. The parts were made so poorly that a person could maybe fix them but at a prohibitive cost to doing so. The 238 I have here works perfectly until the Dolby S is turned on. These must have been made by the same idiot designers that made the 122 Mk II and Mk III capstan motors. No concern of any longevity of the product just cheapness. SMD parts are all about cheapness- they are small and therefore cost very little to make. The problem is that these cards using these products regardless of in cell phone or large screen TVs are meant to be thrown out and replaced. Well that will only work for as long as spare parts are available and that is usually a very short time. This is why there is a minimum amount of repairs being done to $300 large screen TVs and probably the same with cell phones. They might cost you over $1000 to buy one but that is all development cost- there is nothing a a $1000 cell phone that is even worth a fraction of that- it is essentially all junk and as far as I am concerned they work like it too.
People have to come into the light and understand that IF a SMD part is in their unit they have a very limited life to them. Now Sony cassette decks were made with some Hybrid modules that looked like afterthoughts of the design they had. These modules failed too- the first thing even before rubber parts. The rule to go by is if a SMD part is in the unit can it be taken out and replace with a real, good part like a through hole capacitor? If not then go away, run away from this product as they are designed to steal your money and brake down not in 20 or 30 years like the old stuff but 2 to 3 at most. This is why the Tascam motors I fix before I fix them have a 100% failure rate.
The one guy I would put on this problem would be Gerhard in Florida as I have trained him but he is above most people in that he has special abilities by nature. He fixes dBx units with no schematics and with the products he has fixed in the past such as the LEDs on those LED meter strips, he has replaced the LED on them. This is not normal throw in a new part ability but then when he does this it is not cheap.
The Dolby S modules can be fixed on certain benches but it would be helpful if technical documentation was had and to date all the people I have contacted have none or have never seen any. These are the top repairs people in the USA of the Teac brand. They really dropped the ball on this product as far as I am concerned.

He’s talking about msr16s Dolby cards, nothing to do with 238 cards, completely different.

Somewhere I have an extensive Dolby s card repair description that I wrote years ago. I’ll try to find it, there may be a copy on this forum somewhere.

You will not find any new replacements, and fixing them is not easy. Maybe buy a parts machine and get 16 spare channels of cards, I did that years ago. Buying a parts machine will be simular price to buying 1 new card.

I think you sent me a pm about manuals, I di have one but only a hard copy, scanning will be a big job

Alan

He’s talking about msr16s Dolby cards, nothing to do with 238 cards, completely different.

Somewhere I have an extensive Dolby s card repair description that I wrote years ago. I’ll try to find it, there may be a copy on this forum somewhere.

You will not find any new replacements, and fixing them is not easy. Maybe buy a parts machine and get 16 spare channels of cards, I did that years ago. Buying a parts machine will be simular price to buying 1 new card.

I think you sent me a pm about manuals, I di have one but only a hard copy, scanning will be a big job

Alan
Well, I read what you wrote in that thread on repairing MSR16 Dolby S cards, and no offence, but you just wrote exactly the same what I suggested above. These machines were created by the same manufacturer in the same era, hard to believe that they did not share parts, even circuit design..Taking into consideration what you wrote, I am almost certain, that these are the very same cheap faulty parts what I mentioned and SkyWaweTDR (Sam).
Cheers,
laszlo

New threads

Members online

No members online now.