Msr-24 vs tsr-8 vs 238

Patrick Yeo

Gear owned
Tascam 488, 688, 32-2
Hey all I have the opportunity to trade for a Tascam MSR-24, or a Tascam 238. The 238 has been rebelted and serviced, but I don't believe the caps have been replaced. I also have a TSR-8 on the line but I would have to wait til the cash comes along, as the seller is not interested in a trade. I've got cold feet in regards to trading but definitely want one of these multi-tracks. In my head I'm kind of leaning towards to TSR-8 because of the wider tape width per track and the price of 1/2" tape is much more affordable than the MSR's 1". The 24 is an easier and cleaner deal though. It may need servicing, but if the machine is worth using I don't mind getting a tech for this. Any practicality for using 3 tracks per input to "expand" the track width on the tape so essentially it is an 8 track? is that even easy to do?
What is y'alls input on any of this? lol Thank you :)

I decided I would go with the TSR-8 because it more suits my needs. The 238 is a close second, and the MSR-20 is completely out of question because of how large it is. My purpose is to sync another deck and at that point I don’t even need to do that.
I tried to delete the thread but I’m not sure I can.
Oh well! Anyway that’s my train of though

Well you might be correct if you ever lifted a MSR24 this is no light machine. The 238 requires Chrome tape and with the higher speed it does a nice job when adjusted correctly. The TSR will work as long as you have good tape and keep it clean.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.