MTS-1000 & IF-1000 cables

christian.marcelli

Gear owned
Tascam 48
I've been able to procure a Tascam MTS-1000 and an IF-1000, but I need some help with the cables. Specifically, I need help with what connectors to look for. First, the cable connecting the MTS-1000 and IF-1000 has a 50 pin connector on both ends. I don't see a schematic in either the operating or service manuals, nor are the type of connectors mentioned. I called Tascam and they weren't helpful. Does anybody know the connector type and pinout for this?

I also need to make a cable to connect the IF-1000 to my Tascam 48. The pinouts for these are in the manual, but there is no mention of what type of connector the IF-1000 uses (all it says is 50 pin for slave, 24 pin for master). The 48 side shouldn't be too difficult because the manual indicates an Elco 8016 type 38 pin connector.

If anybody has knowledge of making these cables or what the correct connectors are I would be very grateful. Of course, if anybody has these and wants to sell, that would be just as sweet.

I'll have to look at my old faxes from Teac of those schematics. I believe they were noted in handwriting as 50 pin amphenol

I have the pinouts in the manuals, but the 24 (master) and 50 (slave) pin pinouts don't match the 38 pin input pinouts in the Tascam 48 manual. I know that the wiring diagram for connection to the ES-50 shows diodes and resistors as well as multiple pins connected on the same side. I'm wondering if there is a similar diagram for connection between the 48 and IF-1000 or if I have to "do the electrical engineering math" myself and hope for the best.

I may not be understanding. What you do is look at the 48 manual that you have ....schematic page for sync control for the pin connections on the 48. For example, if your preference is to have the 48 be master,....which pins out on the 48 connector are for tach+....up/down, play cmd, stop cmd... etc?

Follow each of those pins over to the corresponding pin info on your if schematic. Then get out the solder gun and wire.

You'd solder up a bunch of single wires.... or via an umbilical ribbon cable to each connector (38 at the machine, 50 at the if) with the appropriate pin out connections (shown on the 48 schematics) to the appropriate amphenol pin connector on the if side.

The notes and pin out/in faxes I have from years ago from Teac are mostly handwritten and specifically for the ES to if connection AND additionally for 8516s, which needed a revision because there were some 8516 issues with slave sync (being it was the first sync/machine and had tendency to unlock when using two machines).

I'm not familiar with an actual diagram for 48s since those came later... but... if you call Teac Montebello for their tech guy (not parts dept), ask him/them if they still have service bulletins for IF connections.... maybe there is one in existence for your 48.... or for a machine wired similarly to 48s of those years. If there is a service bulletin at Montebello, the tech guy just might be able to fax or email it to you. That would give you a visual of necessary pin connections..... but having the schematics you have now, it seems you can get an umbilical cable happening now with info you already have.

Its been awhile but I wanted to post my results for future reference. First, Tascam support wasn't helpful. Nice, but support for the old analog stuff just wasn't there. Second, the cables connecting the IF-1000 to the Tascam 48 can't be made just by using the pinout in the manuals. Fortunately, the are identical to the cables for the ES-50 cables. They include diodes and resistors, plus you have to connect the power wire to several pins. In short, the diagram for the ES cables work perfectly for the IF-1000. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: motorlynx

New threads

Members online

No members online now.