Multicore CPU

socrates190

From
Athens / Greece
Gear owned
DM 3200 w Firewireboard
Hallo Folks...

i dont know if this is normal , but i noticed something on my CPU.

i have the DM-3200 with the Firewireboard and have my mixer connected to a Win7 64bit Prof PC , with a i7 3770k (Hyperthread enabled) and 16 Gb RAM.
The first Core from my CPU is always running at 7 - 15 % , even if dont do or run anything!!!! And always the first Core.
When i switch my my mixer off, everything is normal.. the entire CPU has max 2% .
If this is normal, how can i fix the affinity? So that the mixer takes equaly power from all cores!
If not... what could it be?

Greetings from Athens/Greece

Socrates

You don't say what DAW you're using (ie: ProTools, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, etc). There could possibly be some hard disk/memory routines you need to set up inside your DAW to ensure your PC's capabilities are utilized correctly.

More importantly, have you performed A FULL AND COMPLETE OPTIMIZATION ROUTINE ON YOUR WIN 7 PC?? I capitalize that because it is absolutely imperative that you DISABLE anything that might even think to intrude on your audio work. This means, modems, LANs, Windoze BACKGROUND TASKS, updates, etc etc. There are several places on the web that provide all the details on how to do this - including ProTools's Avid.com site.

If you're using a Win7 PC for audio intensive work, YOU MUST, WITHOUT FAIL, STRIP YOUR COMPUTER OF UNNECESSARY, INTRUSIVE ROUTINES AND CONFLICTING DRIVERS!!!! Your PC MUST be a DIGITAL TAPE DECK, not a means to text, surf the interweb, or maintain your cooking menus. If this isn't compatible with your workflow, then you need another PC dedicated strictly for multi track audio recording and playback.

I hope this is clear. :)

CaptDan

Reactions: socrates190
thank you for your reply captan ....
I am using Cubase 7.5 Artist , but this happens when the computer starts up, without running any programm (except Tuneup 2013, were i disabled all programms)
Later on i will upload some pics .

You can check which processes are using CPU power in the Windows taskmanager, that may give you a clue. Make sure to check 'All user's processes'. Overhere with the same OS, I only see TMCompanion active, but such low percentage CPU that it remains at 0..

It is sure for that i did something wrong... but i dont know what.
So i post some pics , maybe you can help me...

Also , i saw that there is a incompatibility with Texas Instrument Firewire - Chips and i have a Gigabyte H67 Motherboard that did has an TI-Chip. Could this be the problem?
Ohh and i didnt mentioned my Graphiccard its an AMD Firepro V4800

Attachments

• CPU load.jpg
    CPU load.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Processes.jpg
    Processes.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Services.jpg
    Services.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Texas Instruments chips have been known to cause problems with the DM Firewire card and drivers. 'VIA-compliant' cards are generally trouble free.
However, from what you described, you didn't have a problem until you unplugged the cable and re-inserted it.

You should re-post this with the words: "Mac User/Firewire problem' in the message header. That way, you're more likely to attract Mac users who can help.

Captdan

Texas Instruments chips have been known to cause problems with the DM Firewire card and drivers. 'VIA-compliant' cards are generally trouble free.
However, from what you described, you didn't have a problem until you unplugged the cable and re-inserted it.

You should re-post this with the words: "Mac User/Firewire problem' in the message header. That way, you're more likely to attract Mac users who can help.

Captdan

Yes ... i will change the Firewire Card...
Caprtdan , i am not a Mac user .. i am a PC user. How can Mac-users help me?

Looking at your screenshots, I see nothing strange, except the 7% CPU load itself.. There's no obvious process responsible, so it must be something deeper in the system. Hopefully another firewire card will help.

BTW, spreading CPU load over several cores is only possible if the load comes from 'splittable' processing, so in itself it's not strange that the 7% is for one core only.

Thanx Arjan, will check it out tonight and tell you if it works
:)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.