My DP-32SD power plug doesn't fit properly !

thesled

Gear owned
TASCAM DP-32SD
Hi Folks

I have had a DP-32SD for a couple of months now and I have not got around to using it much because I'm still collecting the other bits and pieces, mics etc. that I need to get the show on the road.

I've given it a few test runs and one of the first things I noticed was that the power supply plug does not go all the way into the socket on the back. It leaves a couple of millimeters of bare metal showing. The back panel socket is a 'dead end' so pushing it in harder would just break it. So either the socket is too short or the PSU plug is too long. It perhaps isn't a big deal because it doesn't stop it working but it seems a bit poor on what is supposed to be at least a reasonable quality item - I've never had this problem before on anything I've had including some of the worst pieces of cheapo junk. They always fit flush to the grip.

So before I go off and moan to Tascam and/or the retailer (possibly) has anyone else had/seen this ?

The power supply is the stock (presumably, unless they've sent me the wrong one) GPE248-120200-Z and I make the length of the device end plug to be 10mm.

Many Thanks

P1000967.JPG They say a picture is worth 1000 words. . . . .

Mine's the same. The PSU model no. is the same and agrees with manual. The plug barrel is 10mm long and it sticks out same amount as yours. Seems fairly secure though, but I agree a snugger fit would be better.

Reactions: thesled
Hi Phil and thanks for your reply. Pleased to know it's not just me. I think what I'll do is have a root around in my box of old PSU's and see if I can find a plug with a better fit, then splice it in complete with the lead because the other problem with the stock PSU is that the lead is far too short.

Still if you're going to use a buy-in from 'Golden Profit Electronics' then perhaps this is what happens. Starting to think Tascam wasn't what it was.

Yes, short leads are annoying. Some PSUs can be split apart so you can make a neater job and replace the whole cable, but some are impossible to dismantle without breaking! Don't know if DC extender cables exist - might be simpler than a splice. Obviously a mains extender would work (and would avoid any DC voltage drop on higher current devices) but tends to be a bulky solution.
Either way, please take great care re. polarity - this model may be protected but I wouldn't risk it. Have heard many a sorry tale of expensive gear being destroyed. I try and label PSUs to match the gear they drive, but it's an easy mistake in dim light.

New threads

Members online