GaryJackson

From
New Zealand
Website
www.qualifiedsound.co.nz
Gear owned
Tascam DM4800 + Firewire card
Hi everyone

I thought I would post a few pictures of a new desk project I was working on for my DM-4800. Since this forum is full of Tascam lovers like myself, I thought it was fitting to post this here.

The desk took about two weeks to build and design and I would be keen to hear any thoughts or even suggestions on what could be designed better and the overall look of it. Basically I built it because the Argosy desk that I could ship to New Zealand would have cost me about the same (and that's cost price). So I thought I could make a custom one instead, and cheaper ! which was the overriding factor.

Hope you all like it / leave any comments below.

I hope I posted the pics right...never posted pics on this forum before?

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 362
Reactions: Peter Batah
very nice desk :) argosy stile ,
i like the materials used, the brown"skin" the chromed parts...only thing that is not practical in my opinion is the screen monitor placement.
i think they are to far from the person and a bit to high or the mixer is very low (almost as the mac box on the back).
I used a monitor hand for the screen so i can put it closer to me when needed, almost till the faders.
this is my desk made by me and my friend, is still not done, need to cover the upper parts+keyboard and the monitor hand is in the middle of the desk now, not like in the pic...next part is filling the empty racks :)

Killer, awesome, yeah, ooooooh.... wow...... Oweeeeeeeee..... d*mn O boy...... Look it shines......

Then..... one day.......:
Daddy...... (greesy fingers....) lemmie turn knobbies.... Please....

Anyway..... I love the stainless steel.... Takes quite some skill to get parts like that...

6a0120a4c8535e970b0133f5d0dd9d970b-pi

Hi Gary,

Superb job! I think it beats the comparable Argosy - particularly with regard to the details, - and yes - I like that shiny stuff. :)

And hats off to you other guys as well; those are fine looking rigs!

CaptDan

Thanks all for your input. The monitors are 27" each so not to bad. But it could be closer. Spose it depends on how you like it. At one point I considered mounting a flat touch screen into the desk but will do it for the next one...if there is one. I must admit the shiny stuff is cool, but will require an amount of upkeep.

The dimensions are the exact height of the argosy, so I pinched that measurement but the folds and the rest of the unit is what we came up with.

Cheers again.

Gary,

I build my desk around a tall serverrack wich I chopped in half and then put that on wheels. My DM24 is center and my Roland SI24 is to the left.

As you may know Windows 8 is capable of dealing with touch sensitive screens, but allso is capable of dealing with "gestures". The stuff we find on Android phones and IOS devices.

Microsoft now has launched the gesture mouse. I don't like dirty fingers on my screen. So such a screen is not for me. The gesture mouse at this point is wireless (I hate batteries). I am waiting for a version without batteries. The gestures can make it so you need less screens because you can use them more efficiently.

microsoft-mouse-color-300.jpg

That gesture mouse and a drumpad (either a Korg or an AKAI) will make it to the right.

Another thing I'd like to have myself is a remote controller for verbs... I have been eyeballing a secondhand Lexicon (the LARC of the 480L is offcourse benchmark, but that was not what I was looking at. There has been a midi one for the lower end units... And that one usually comes by on the known places... With some effort you'd have a dedicated box).... But I haven't dealt with the issue yet....

Here is an image. The Lexicon MRC:
mrc.jpeg

My SI24 and the DM24 work together giving me the ability to automate channels while the second controller is operating busses... And my SI24 has a surround joystick...

The Dell TP713 wireless touchpad and the logitech T650 are units wich you could sink into the desk, making the mouse obsolete...

The Logitech T650 has an USB port... Still have to check this stuff out though...

r7NKCe9ScKaazdTQgqYKF1DnAmzKrj6a6JO0e4u3DJ4rsLazwIjTAHFB_0F-puY2RSY8U39Fy9eLs62_OS0DqwaH_tIjv8fRgu4eam8s1gpvcOt9Ypo81vVJummd4psl

Nice work indeed!
I also created a custom workspace centered around the DM3200, and I must say, without the monitor arms I'd be lost - also because I need to look through the window sometimes...

Attachments

• sbsctlrm3.jpg
    sbsctlrm3.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 204
Muziekschuur said:
The Dell TP713 wireless touchpad and the logitech T650 are units wich you could sink into the desk, making the mouse obsolete...

The Logitech T650 has an USB port... Still have to check this stuff out though...

r7NKCe9ScKaazdTQgqYKF1DnAmzKrj6a6JO0e4u3DJ4rsLazwIjTAHFB_0F-puY2RSY8U39Fy9eLs62_OS0DqwaH_tIjv8fRgu4eam8s1gpvcOt9Ypo81vVJummd4psl

Yeah I really like that.... I will look into that, as using the mouse is getting to be annoying and Im looking for the next step.

Arjan P said:
Nice work indeed!
I also created a custom workspace centered around the DM3200, and I must say, without the monitor arms I'd be lost - also because I need to look through the window sometimes...

Arjan, I really like your work space ! I would like to add some ambient lighting to my room at some stage as well.. maybe some soft colour LEDs or something.

Is gestures as well as supported in OSX as it is in W8? (I l know it is in the IOS devices... and android).

I think so, however I believe that the Logitech is not supported in OSX. I looked and there was no compatibility information regarding that. (Though it just might not have been on the site)

Im thinking that the magic mouse will do the trick, its small and designed for apple so there is no worries of if it will work or not.

I think that it would have been good to mount something like that into the desk but then thought that if you ever needed to move it, it might become a problem. I guess this way it can be more versatile thought a touch screen somewhere I might like to try one day.

You know what would be a pity - I keep thinking that if I built this desk and next year tascam released a new digital desk......Oh well.

captdan said:
That's a GREAT looking set up. I like the overhead lighting. What kind is that?
Thanks, Capt. They are dual halogen spots (GU10 bulbs) with each one color LED fitted. They're only 1W, so just for effect. The white one right over the DM also has a custom piece of black paper on a steel wire under it to stop reflecting it from the DM's display into my eyes..

Hey man great job on this desk! I was actually about to start on building one for my dm 3200. Ive never built anything and the one i was going to build doesnt look that good. You think it would be possible to posy some instructions on how you built it, the materials used, and the budget that took place? That would be awesome man. This is an amazing desk!

Sure thing man. Happy to help. Most of this unit is steel. The sides are wood and the front and top finishing s etc. there is about 2000$ NZ in materials. It's the labour that is the major on a desk this size. I would suggest looking at the argosy desk for basic measurements. Their PDF docs are good then just mod it to what you think is going to suit you. I will try post some build shots for you so you can see the frame etc. will help with some idea on how I did this one. I'll take some photos of around the back to so you can see how it all fits together. I'll post em up in a day or two if that's ok.

Beautiful desks and studios!

FWIW, Apple "Magic Trackpad" is working well as an alternate input device in my Mac based setup.
Fits easily next to my mouse pad.
Nice to have gestures available.

Hey -

Love your desk, i have visited your facebook page and saw the other pics with the lights and everything...pretty cool.

Listen, i was wondering, i want to build a similar desk, but i want to make some mods to mine...do you have some plans or rough sketch up of the desk that you can send me? I can probably come up with a set of build plans from there.

Thanks

Sorry I never really drew out the dimensions of this desk. I drew out an idea of the final design but not the finer details. I tend to make as I go, then I can see how it fits together better. Its just the way I work.

I would suggest taking good solid measurements of your mixer and then working out around that, adding racks where you want and the height you want. Sometimes I build things out of cardboard in actual size to see the idea better which helps me tweak the build.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

New threads

Members online