My "studio" (a converted bedroom) and collection of instruments

ButchA

From
Richmond, VA
Gear owned
Tascam DP-03SD
Anyone want to come over and work on something? Grab one of my instruments and let's collaborate!

(L-R) 1977 Ibanez Mandolin. 1991 Yamaha 12-string acoustic. New 2021 Fender Player Strat. 2011 Gretsch 5122 hollowbody. 1995 MIM Fender Strat (old, beatup, and tuned to Open G for Slide). 2002 Alvarez 6-string acoustic. And lastly, 1991 Samick 4 string bass (cheap P-Bass copy).
Bottom: 2004 Yamaha DGX-505, full size 88-key, electronic keyboard.
bnQoEe4.jpg

Let me try to explain this one, (L-R) as best I can:
My daughter's old Bundy Clarinet in the case. A buddy and fellow Shriner Band member's Tenor Sax in the case. (I repaired it for him (octave key and Bb key/spring). To my total surprise, he said, "Keep it - I know where it is if I ever want it back!" --- Uh, seriously?!?) My 1966 Conn Director Trombone. My beloved, heirloom, highly insured, Grandmother's 100+ year old violin. She was a concert violinist in NY City back around 1914, 1915, etc... My 1975 Olds Ambassador Cornet. My 1967 Holton Collegiate Trumpet. My 2018 Regiment Bugle (bought off Amazon - cheap, but hey, it works). My 2019 Mahalo Ukulele that my son-in-law bought me. A half busted, (works, then fizzles out...) Fender Frontman 65r amp. My wife's (loud!) stereo Bluetooth speaker that we take outside to the patio when we have friends over for a cookout.
XVIiJBm.jpg

My incredible, do anything, sound like anything, 2020 Boss Katana Artist 100watt combo amp, footswitch controller, assorted pedals, etc...
0YcNjia.jpg

My 2021 Alesis Nitro Mesh electronic drum set, plugged into my dad's old homemade Heathkit (remember Heathkit from the 70's?) 50watt amp. Note: As bizarre as this sounds - look closely at the drum setup.... It's backwards! Yup... I play everything righty, but for some odd reason, I play drums lefty. It's the way I was taught and it became natural, since I'm somewhat ambidextrous anyway... Edit: Sorry - but upon review of all these images, there is nothing wrong with Tom #2 and/or the mesh screen. It's just the weird type of glare from the LED overhead ceiling fan lights and the camera angle when I took the photo.
jw2A9bT.jpg

And lastly... A closeup of my Yamaha Keyboard and especially my new Tascam DP-03SD sitting on the keyboard bench. (I really do need to buy a small table for it along with RCA jack studio monitors!)
EUKS6nw.jpg

Last edited:
That's an impressive number of instruments! Looks good and very versatile for recording, especially if you can play them all!

Thanks for the invitation to come over, I would but it's a bit impractical ;). However, maybe an online collaboration could work..

Reactions: ButchA
Collaboration? That would be a blast! Here is one of my YouTube clips of a collaboration effort based off another "guitar forum" website, where we all started talking and one thing led to another...

Me: Original concept, playing a simple Cmaj7, Fmaj7, G, F, Fm, etc... type of jazzy pop type of thing, and the guys liked it. One guy in California said, "Let me take a crack at it", and added keyboards and sound effects (and the overall mixing, transferring everything to a DAW), another guy down in Georgia said, "that's great, let me add a bass line to it...", and another guy in northern California said, "Wow, this is really shaping up! Let me add some acoustic drums. What's the beat?" (4/4 tempo at 94 beats per minute...). Everyone recorded their part, added to it, emailed it back and forth, and finally, the main guy on keyboards/synthesizers/effects, finalized everything.

WE COULD DO THE SAME THING ON THE TASCAM FORUM! :D
I'm a bit of an odd-ball, I must confess, because I love to seriously rock out on my Fender Stratocaster and play hard rock, whammy bar tricks, Eddie Van Halen fretboard tapping stuff, etc.... But then, when it comes time to actually sit down and get serious and write a song, somehow, someway, I end up with some type of gentle ballad, in the 70's style of singer/songwriter genre, like James Taylor, Jim Croce, Carole King, John Denver, etc.... type of stuff.

@Arjan P --- getting back to what you were asking about with my music room, yes, I actually play all 17 instruments (last time I counted) here. My main forte is Guitar, followed by Trumpet, followed by Drums, and then Keyboards. I can play Clarinet, Sax, etc... but, well... okay... I can play a scale! I kind of suck on woodwinds, being that I spent all my youth in school band, in the brass section.

Reactions: shredd
I LOVE "collaborations" - not only because I'm a bedroom-studio bound closet musician...

But I'm also more pandemic-paranoid than any living human on Earth. I won't have strangers in my home (studio) - where I live, if you even PRETEND to care about COVID, protecting yourself or anyone else, or who lives/dies...you're scorned and ridiculed. I've been called a "pandemic pu$$y" for wearing a mask in the grocery store. And that's when there was no vaccines and a state-wide mask mandate...

That said - I'm a decent musician and have good studio capabilities. AND I have stuff that could surely benefit from the input of others.
I'm in!
(have a great pic of my studio/gear, but for some reason am not being allowed to upload it...)

Last edited:
have a great pic of my studio/gear, but for some reason am not being allowed to upload it...
@shredd Noone can upload photos to the forum, it's always a hyperlink to where the photo is placed. So if you upload to, say, photobucket you can link to it and we'll see it in your message.

Concerning online collaboration: who starts? There already is a forum section for it, so let's go!

Hello Arjan - I dunno 'who starts' - I've not done much of this, certainly not in the modern age of track/file-sharing. In the "old days", we'd send each other MP3's of a riff or track or whatever, and build around it. Pretty primitive by today's standards. A few of mine are at my SoundClick site (https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=832489&content=songs)

But I'm interested...

PS: after many years of keeping my little handful of photos for sharing at photobucket, they've gone full-subscription...so I'm not willing to pay to keep a dozen or so photos hosted online. I'll have to find something new...sigh...

@shredd

Use the website called Imgur. It's what I used after Photobucket got all crazy...

www.imgur.com

Edit: That's pretty much what we did, with that brief collaboration/song called "Butch's Theme" (whoever came up with that.... um, okay...)
Original concept: Me. Recorded and saved as both .mp3 and .wav
Various guys on guitar sites and keyboard sites all said, "hey, I like this... let me see...", and one by one they took my track from Soundcloud, downloaded it, uploaded it to their DAW or MTR, added to it, saved it, and then everyone exchanged emails, and these "files" went around and around, to each person, each DAW, each Tascam MTR, etc.. etc... and lo and behold, we all ended up collaborating online. It was so much fun! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd

New threads

Members online