New Digital Mixer ?

Even if it was discontinued it will still be supported because the DM3200 will continue on. Both machines use the same drivers, option cards and firmware so I do not see this as an issue from a support standpoint which should be your only concern....

wnlively said:
Muziekschuur
What are you thoghts on a new digital mixer from tascam?
Do you think that the dm 4800 is being discontinued as Gravity Jim stated in one of his post?

Some years ago, a well known manufacturer introduced an excellent audio device. It was quite an innovation for the price. After three years and a few upgrades, the company inexplicably discontinued the unit. Users - though puzzled by the sudden abandonment - became hopeful that a newer, better, more powerful device would replace it. Alas, instead, the company introduced two successors - each with fewer features, and both at lesser cost.

Moral of story: be careful what you wish for; you may be get less than you bargain for.
:)

CaptDan

Reactions: cmaffia
Yes I agree and I'm feeling you !!!!!!!I

TDIF, ADAT and R-BUS are EOL. And firewire and USB2 are both plagued with connection problems because of competing chipsets by severall hardware manufacturers. One connection now is tried and true. And that's Ethernet. And together with an XLR exterior you can wrap it in rubber and when not needed you can put a cap on it. Making is a roadproof and backwards compatible setup.

Tascam Gibson and Cakewalk are now all owned by the Gibson owner. And Gibson has been silently developing an audio over ethernet protocol since 2005. With tried and true products like Sonar and all hardware manufacturing under one roof it could well be there will be a new product out there very soon. Wich may even be backwards compatible with the DM series.

I have tried the new ALLEN & Heath QU-16. And I have seen and used the SSL, Midas (XL8 and lower) and Soundcraft SI and VI series of digital mixers. And still the ALLEN & Heath wins hands down on price and feature set. The only competition here is the Presonus line of mixers.... Wich forms a nice group of products...

Scribble scripts, motorfaders, Linux, ethernet connectivity, recording to USB stick and DAW controll are mandatory to stay afloat with a new product. It should be rack ready. As small and handy is the name of the game. The Marketplace is that of the small independent musisican. The big names are no longer the big spenders that matter. As the volume created by the home and bar musisican is what matters. And with YouTube in place any small hit can make it to the top...

Because of the purchase is not yet ready Roland realised that Gibson can not yet release its product now as the deal towards Cakewalk is not yet finalized. I suppose a new "big product" like the QU-16 is still a half year away.....

Any news? 2015 is almost over, where is the new mixer? I was unaware that Tascam was mixed up with Gibson. I am getting concerned here.

Last edited:
Sources say there will be no successor to the DM3200/Dm4800. If anything resembling a new mixer is released in the future, I suspect it would be considered a downgrade by our standards.

Agreed. I honestly think that now that Behringer/MUSIC Group is in the game they decided it wasn't worth chasing any longer. The profits are likely pretty small and it's hard to compete with stuff like the X32 (regardless of how good it is or not). I picked up my DM-3200 because a previous owner ditched two of them for a pair of X32s. Also apparently Gibson's audio over ethernet stuff is fraught with potential IP/patent issues in terms of trying to use it for multi-track audio. Don't quote me on that, just a rumour ;)

So sad. Nothing in that class price range. The focus rite 2802 is gone too. You have to have a lot of money to turn actual knobs. .

It's the same in the live sound world if that's any consolation. Actual knobs cost a lot of $$ now that we can have all these virtual knobs on screens. Also sometimes the "actual" knobs are just generic ones that are re-purposed depending on what you have selected (which is exactly the case with the DM-3200/4800's).

Any recommendations? I know this is a Tascam thread but it seems
I will have to jump ship. I am working in Logic.

Find a good deal on a used 4800 or grab one of the last new 3200's :D

New threads

Members online

No members online now.