Newbie Question - DR - 40X Input Level

userme

Hello,

I am new to digital voice recoders. We have a DR-40 X which we will use primarily to record a person's breathing patterns when sleeping. What input level do i need to set (0 -90 ) to capture all and any sounds considering some of the sounds might be extremely low.

Thanks!

I did that for myself several months ago with a DR-40, original version. Using the built in microphones I tried it on the bedside table but ended up placing it closer, next to the pillow since I wasn't going to knock it on the floor. But when I roll over then it's opposite to my face. Maybe rig it overhead if the bed has a headboard.
The initial setting you can try is mimic the sounds you are expecting to catch and get them to about 1/4 or 1/3 scale at least at the distance anticipated. You'd be surprised how much room noise it will record, just from moving air. I couldn't audibly catch every breath but what I was after was a piggy snort or a grunt, indicating I might have stopped breathing for a while and then take it up with the professionals.
Hopefully you then plan to open the tracks on wave editing software and you'll see any spikes right away. I think you'll have a hard time seeing a difference between calm sleep breathing and no breathing. Clinics use other means than sound to analyse that. I wouldn't consider any of this a substitute for a sleep clinic though if it's a health matter.

Thank you for your reply Art. You make very good observations. Have you had to make any other specific settings to overcome the concerns you had? I am particularly not clear on what the "level mode" should be set to (manual, auto, limiter, peak). If set to manual, not sure on which setting between 0-90 will capture even the slightest of noises. I am not even sure if that is what the function of level mode is.

a microphone hanging from the ceiling just above your head maybe?

a pencil condensor might do the trick.

which ever way you go, test it on maximum input level and see how it turns out,especially if using the inbuilt mics.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.