No Audio Output into Smartphone

bistro knox

Gear owned
Model 12
How do I receive output from my model 12 into my smartphone? I have the TRRS cable, but when I record a video on my smartphone, there's no audio being recorded from my model 12.

Whatever output on the Model 12 that you have the other end of the TRRS cable plugged into has to have audio on it. Can you provide more information?

Reactions: Mark Richards
Yes @mjk I believe you are correct and out from that device
Goes to channels 9/10 on the model 12

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes @mjk I believe you are correct and out from that device
Goes to channels 9/10 on the model 12

Are you saying that the Model 12 sends Channels 9/10 to the phone output jack?

The 4 pole trrs mini plug sends main outs from model 12 to smartphone and returns audio from smartphone to channels 9/10. Page 31 the manual
Begins discussing this.

Reactions: Max Relic
The mains out must be a mono downmix then, because TRRS inputs to mobile phones to not support stereo (it's only 1 ring and the sleeve ground).

Calling @bistro knox! Would you care to join us?

Also maybe the op has their master volume down or something and the signal is not reaching the smartphone, hopefully they will tell us if they got it working!

The 4 pole trrs mini plug sends main outs from model 12 to smartphone and returns audio from smartphone to channels 9/10. Page 31 the manual
Begins discussing this.
Nice to know, I missed this detail when reading the manual.
On my Android phone (v13) I noticed that the default camera app only records from internal microphone audio. In order to record video + audio from the TRRS jack I had to install Open Camera app (free) and I was happy with the result.

But the audio on the TRRS jack into the phone is mono. I've done this a lot. I use an external recorder to get the audio in stereo, or even use a full mix, but I only record audio in the phone to align it with the stereo track during production. I would never use music in mono recorded on the mic jack.

I’m fully aware that in this discussion, the phone is an Android.
BUT - FWIW: I have an iPhone 11, and for way under US$100, I got an iRig mic that plugs into its’ Lightning jack, and records directly into the iPhone’s video IN STEREO.
So I’m guessing there’s a mic for your phone.
And doesn’t sound 1/2-bad…this is a test-vid I made about 10 minutes after I got it…

BUT: if I want good sound on a vid, I do what @-mjk- does: I record “real” audio in the studio gear WHILE filming the vid, then replace the phone’s mono audio w my studio recording & sync them up.

Last edited:
@shredd I've been recording audio through the USB-C port on my Android for years. I did a live stream at a restaurant with a desktop condenser mic that had a USB-C connector. On another live stream, I used my Zoom recorder (set to spatial audio) in the field with an OTG connector and the results were very impressive. If anything I have found it far easier to get audio (and especially files) in and out of Android phones than the iPhone's lightning connector. I have yet to find a simple USB-A to Lightning connector in the same places where I bought the A to C OTG. I have seen those multi-media breakout boxes for Lightning but they are about as big as an ATM card reader and I wouldn't what that hanging off my phone. Given the superior aspects of the iPhone and the Lightning connector in many ways, the fact that it's Apple makes it 10x more difficult to find solutions that are as simple and cheap as Android.

It would be far easier for the OP to use a simple OTG connector and put the USB audio from the Model 12 into the phone if it is in fact, Android.

But the audio on the TRRS jack into the phone is mono. [...] I only record audio in the phone to align it with the stereo track during production. [...]
Me too, camera audio is merely a time marker for synchronization purpose when editing video.
If a stereo mix at mic level is needed then the Model 12 has a useful pad option for Bus and Main outputs, ranging from -1 to -40 dB in 1 dB steps.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.