cmaffia

Staff member
From
Queens, New York
Website
cmaffia.wix.com
Gear owned
2 x DM3200, DA-3000
When I turn both my CR monitor and headphone volume knobs down all the way, I still hear a little bit of audio on the Stereo Bus. I am playing back a mastered mix so the signal is quite hot. It's very faint but it's there on both my mains and both headphone jacks. I went through all assigns, inserts and parameters for ever fader as well as checked all aux sends and everything is normalized. I also checked and the only thing assigned to the Stereo Bus are my channels 31&32 from Cubase. I even loaded up temporarily the factory default template, still there. Is it me or what? I can't figure out where the bleed is coming from or maybe this is normal? I got a new DAW workstation which is ultra quiet compared to my old one. Is it possible it always was like this and the old PC noise masked it? Also, this happens both when I am playing any audio file through WDM routing or when using the desk in Cubase.

Hey Charlie,

Do you have ANY channel auxed to efx PRE-fader? Sometimes this can cause increased levels which can be heard when all other channels are decreased.

Just a thought.

CaptDan

Nope I checked the ASSIGN page and PARAMETERS and there was 1 channel that was set to pre but I put it back to the default post. I "normalized" the board with a template I had made. Plus even if there was somthing auxed, only 2 of my channels are bussed to STEREO (2 channels from Cubase).
It's not a big deal just wondering why its happening unless it is normal operation. It is very very faint like I said

Can't say if it's normal or not. I don't recall having experienced this myself.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a possible 'cross-talk' or leakage somewhere. However, if it's not giving you problems, it's likely a small concern.

CaptDan

I even reinitialized the board setup slot-1 31 & 32 and still same experience.
So I am assuming if you try the same experiment, you hear dead silence.
I wonder if this is a problem that will get worse if this isn't normal.

Fiber said:
Mine leaks a little bit too, never thought of it as a problem, it's not disturbing me in any way.. but it's weird when all digital stuff is turned down.
Thanks for responding Fiber. I don't know if it means it's normal or we both have a minor issue. I'm curious what other's say.

Monitors are Yamaha NS-1000's but it happens in my headphones too. I even unplugged my monitors and I still hear it faintly in the headphones exactly like I do with my Yammy's

cmaffia said:
Fiber said:
Mine leaks a little bit too, never thought of it as a problem, it's not disturbing me in any way.. but it's weird when all digital stuff is turned down.
Thanks for responding Fiber. I don't know if it means it's normal or we both have a minor issue. I'm curious what other's say.
But are you saying you have this sound leak even with master fader down? ('all digital stuff') I can't recall having this issue with CR and phones control output to zero but will try a test later this week..

Arjan P said:
cmaffia said:
Fiber said:
But are you saying you have this sound leak even with master fader down? ('all digital stuff') I can't recall having this issue with CR and phones control output to zero but will try a test later this week..
No when I put the master fader down I hear nothing. However if the master fader is at unity and I turn down either the CR or Headphone volume knob, I hear audio very faintly.

Hey CM,
I had some radio station leakage a while ago when I had a mic plugged into a snake channel that I had also split off to an open 1/4inch jack. It was very quiet but constantly there. I would have to turn everything up to really hear it. I unplugged the mic and used a different channel. Noise gone. Complete silence. It was driving me crazy!! Could it be RF leakage?
s

TascMan said:
Hey CM,
I had some radio station leakage a while ago when I had a mic plugged into a snake channel that I had also split off to an open 1/4inch jack. It was very quiet but constantly there. I would have to turn everything up to really hear it. I unplugged the mic and used a different channel. Noise gone. Complete silence. It was driving me crazy!! Could it be RF leakage?

s
Hey S
I unplugged everything except the PC to DM connection so I don't think it is RF leakage. It's either common or normal, or something minute that is causing this IMO
I'm assuming you hear dead silence when your headphone and CR knobs are turned to zero when you are playing back audio? I called Tascam support and after a few questions they said send it in for servicing. If its not normal then I'll just monitor it and if it gets annoying or worse, I guess I have no choice but to bring it in for service. I just can't remember if this was always like this or not. I am also hearing this bleed with a mastered file so it is a hot signal. :?:

Just because I was curious, I just tested it.

With the master fader all the way down, neither the CR or Studio monitor outputs or the headphone outs pass any audio at all, even when cranked. Same results with the master fader all the way up and all other faders down.

But, with all faders up and the CR volume knob turned all the way down, you can hear the slightest, tiniest bit of bleed if you put your ear close enough to the CR monitors.

I don't think this is a problem: I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect potentiometer... certainly not at these prices. :) Since I'm not in (and can't imagine) a situation where absolute silence would be required from that pot, I certainly wouldn't service the board over it... it's as close to silent as it needs to be.

Gravity Jim said:
Just because I was curious, I just tested it.

With the master fader all the way down, neither the CR or Studio monitor outputs or the headphone outs pass any audio at all, even when cranked. Same results with the master fader all the way up and all other faders down.

But, with all faders up and the CR volume knob turned all the way down, you can hear the slightest, tiniest bit of bleed if you put your ear close enough to the CR monitors.

I don't think this is a problem: I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect potentiometer... certainly not at these prices. :) Since I'm not in (and can't imagine) a situation where absolute silence would be required from that pot, I certainly wouldn't service the board over it... it's as close to silent as it needs to be.
Thanks for the confirmation Jim and your testing coincides with Redbus' email response to me this morning.

"The monitor level knobs don't go down to -inf, so they will always pass a little level through at the minimum. Double check by pressing the mute buttons on 31 and 32 so there is no signal at all going to the monitors."

When I mute it is quiet. Thread closed. phew!

Oh and btw, while troubleshooting I noticed that the SOLO volume potentiometer does go down to -inf as well as the studio monitors!

New threads

Members online