One Knob Compressor

Stephan Morrison

Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
Any information out there on the specifics of this one knob compressor? Type, ratio, att/rel, etc?

Very pleased with it, might I add. Might be the highlight of this mixer so far, aside from the interface capabilities.

Reactions: Craig Fontes Jr
I agree - it’s one of the best features of the Model 12.

Especially given the incredibly useful feature to insert it either pre or post the source switch so use either for tracking or playback.

Great implementation for a 1 knob digital compressor. I like it better than the M16’s analog compressor.

I’d like to know the specs too.

My ears suggest to me a uniformly fast attack, and perhaps a variable ratio as it seems very soft compression up though about noon, and then by 3 o’clock gets quite squished (this for recorded signals that adhere fairly close to the -12dB guideline)… release may (?) vary with ratio? But I dunno for sure.

I'm very happy with it as well -- been thinking of running some test tones thought it at different amplitudes to try to figure out the ratio at least, but ultimately to me it just does what I need it to do in many cases: controls peaks, evens out the sound or squashes it depending one how far I turn the dial.

Found some unexpected uses for it too, like making it easier to hear participants in Zoom & Teams meetings, or watching Netflix movies at night when I need lower dynamics so as to not bother my family.

I look forward to using it for live performances to see how it works especially in evening out vocals a bit -- especially if someone (self included) isn't staying centered on the mic.

Resurrecting this post to see if there has been any new information regarding the Comp Knob? I too love it, but would like to have a clear picture of what exactly it is doing.

I've found Jackson's video above very helpful -- didn't realize the ratio is actually higher the lower the knob is and lower the higher the knob is, but in hindsight it kinda makes sense. This realization has changed the way I use it -- lower settings for more of a limiter, bumping up the input as needed to activate it the amount I want, and higher settings for things I want a smoother, more compressed overall sound to, adjusting the input down to hit it the amount I want. I also like using the 8-9 o'clock range as a minimum setting for all tracks -- a nice safety to help prevent digital clipping in the channel, but otherwise transparent when not hitting the threshold.

Reactions: dctdct and shredd
I actually love a 1-knob compressor - my mixer has a decent one on every XLR-based channel - but I also have a terrific outboard (the DBX266XL) that is pretty user-friendly, but also EXTREMELY capable for specific adjustments. I use that mostly on vox, and occasionally on mic'd git'r...

Reactions: BazzBass

New threads

Members online

No members online now.