One of my own (instrumental) created a couple months ago

with all due respect, that drum track is a shambles , unless you were going for a disconnected off beat mish mash. There is no rhythm there at all just separate instruments doing their own thing.
Keep practicing, I would not recommend you go in to a studio just yet, keep recording at home for now.

Last edited:
Given that I'm the Village Idiot around here, I feel no risk in giving an opinion (FWIW!):
I definitely see promise/potential, and you clearly have some ability. But it seems to me the material needs "polishing" - a nice way of saying it lacks cohesion, structure, etc...as BBass commented, it's pretty disjointed (unless that was your intent!).
Again - I'm no expert - but playing music with unusual rhythm/time signatures and/or structure is normally the domain of the ridiculously talented (I'd point to Yes and RUSH as good examples).
I also agree that at this point of this particular piece's development: studio time would likely be interesting and even productive, but costly and perhaps premature? There's numerous online resources that outline what the studio experience will be like, what will be expected of you, and what you should be prepared for. I think the fundamental idea is be prepared and do your homework, so you can make best possible use of the expensive studio time.
Good luck!

Reactions: mixerizer
I'm open to constructive criticism and it's one of the reasons I posted here before attempting any studio time. Needs "polishing" that's what I think of after I listen to all of my songs. I've run into a bad habit of moving on to create new material and leaving unfinished material in an unpolished state with the intent of eventually returning to it to fix mistakes. I do agree that I need to tighten things up on several of my songs. I will rerecord this song and link it here sometime in the coming weeks for feedback. Thanks for all of the replies.

Reactions: mixerizer
Takes guts to write music, and to share it.
The track isn’t danceable.
But it is quirky, unique, genuine.
Keep playing, keep recording, and only pay for studio time if you really think the sound quality is the issue.

personally i dont think the crispy and basement tapes sound is at all the issue - I think the track is weird sounding enough to be cool w the lo fi/ homemade down home sound, but it is rhythmically chaotic to the point that it makes it hard to follow with your body. My favorite parts are the tightest rhythmic moments, so that’s where I would work if you were me.

most of all ignore all feedback that doesn’t help you, especially from experts. Art isn’t about critique, critique is about art.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slugworth
mixizer,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will say that sounding unique is definitely a goal for me as I want to hopefully avoid sounding like anyone else or being boxed into a specific genre.
"Art isn’t about critique, critique is about art." Very well said.

Two of my favorite bands are Fishbone and White Denim. Both are musically diverse and high energy, especially live. Both have been on the edge of bigger notoriety, but fell short. Both are as equally or more talented than most bands that have garnered much more recognition than they have received. I view them as a benchmark of what I hope to accomplish as far as song(s) energy level.

Fishbone SLAMS. I saw them for the first time in ‘91 when I should have been in school and was in love with their sound. the dude in the bowler hat, no shirt and suspenders playing the cornet? Craziness. And note, their rhythm section is tighter than a crab’s backside. danceable af :D

Everyday sunshine !

Last edited:
Reactions: Slugworth
Yup, there are some complex arrangements, modulations and rhythms in there - but everybody hits the downbeats together, insanely well - and the backbeat is fiercely tight. Not only can u dance to it, u can mosh to it! My man in the green shirt w the cornet !

New threads

Members online