One remote Two DP-32/24

TS-1

From
France
Gear owned
DP-32SD
Hi,

I have a DP-32SD and this one do not have the midi, so we can't synch two units.
But to me, use the remote (RC-3f) with a Y cable to feet it into two DP-32, should do the job, no ?

With this (old fachion) configuration, we can do: Play, Stop or Rec, exactly at the same time on the two units, and so have them synchronized and enjoy a 16 tracks recorder.

What do you think about this idea ?

The DP-32 disappeared very quickly. I decided against buying a DP-32SD and bought a hardly used 2488 Neo instead because I wanted MIDI and the possibility to lock two machines together using MTC in projects with my pal. It works well. The lockup time is <2 secs and sync is excellent.

Your idea of a Y cable is a good one! My pal has tried running two 24-SDs together in
"finger sync" (press both Play buttons at once) OK for a while (but much better than analogue recorders) then without a ref clock they start to drift.

Please try your idea and let us know how it works. Good luck.

Iain

I agree, the method "press both Play buttons at once" is too risky, not a reliable method.

I'll try to found one DP-32 or DP-24 to try it before purchasing another one DP-32SD.

I have two 2488 Neos at the moment, so I could disconnect my MTC cable
and try it, if I had a Y cable. Is it just a foot switch?

Iain

For the DP-24/32 we need the Tascam RC-3F remote : http://www.tascam.eu/fr/rc-3f.html
It's powered by 2 AA battery, so think it's not a simple mechanical footswitch.

I don't know if it's the same for the 2488.

I am free-thinking here, before the coffee kicks in...

Whether the footswitch is a simple switch or provides and electric impulse, it should be easy to clone the reaction with a small power supply and relays. The reaction of the footswitch could be used to trigger a relay, which is used to create the reaction in two relays, be it a simple on-off pulse, or a short voltage change.

Beyond my capabilities, but a savvy teenager electronics hobbyist should be able to determine the footswitch action and build you a box, from parts or from Arduino modules.

Matt B

This is a good idea. But what happens to the sync after that is anyone's
guess without some kind of common reference or at least a reference from
one machine to the other.

Iain

Hello,

here's my situation and problem: I have two Tascam portastudios (DP-24 and DP-32) in use for recording, since 8 inputs for mics weren't sufficient. An issue during recording is the fact, that we have to press "record" and "play" at the exact time point individually for each Tascam portastudio if we want to playback the tracks that have been recorded on the devices through our PA. For mixdown after the recording session we of course use a DAW and can shift the tracks accordingly so that it fits. During the recording session though, we would like to avoid the use of any DAW.

I would like to avoid this error-prone method by linking the DP-24 and DP-32 to the Tascam RC-3F footswitch to navigate both portastudios at the same time (linking "record", "play" and "stop" to each of the three footswitches). First of all - is this possible in theory?

Now the problem: The RC-3F footswitch comes with a 2.5mm minijack, which fits the "remote" inputs of the DP-24 and DP-32. I could not find any connectors or Y-cables that would allow me to connect the RC-3F 2.5 minijack into a 2.5mm female with two 2.5mm male outputs to connect to the DP-24 and DP-32.

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

If your Porta-studios are the original units with on-board MIDI, that may be your solution. The OM explains how to connect them, as does a post in the Equipment Tips sticky describing how to connect a MIDI drum machine. There's also a post in the Equipment Tips sticky for interfacing MIDI using an external MIDI hub. The first post in the Equipment Tips sticky has an index to all the posts.

If you have the newer SD model (no MIDI) and if MIDI is how you need to go, Phil Tipping's video #13 (also found in the forum's Sticky section) demonstrates a way to use MIDI with a DP-24/32 SD, but that requires purchasing additional equipment.
(While Phil's videos are free, a donation to him for his hard work is always appreciated if it helps solve your issue.)

As a new Forum member, I suggest, if you haven't yet done so, that you update to the latest firmware and assure you're using a TASCAM tested/approved SD card. More on that in the Equipment Tips sticky.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and xeemy
Hello,
thanks for the welcome! Yes, the firmware is updated and the SD cards are all compatible and there's no issue with them. They are original units. Thanks for your response, I'll read into that.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I have a DP-32 with MIDI, and I use it for synchronization all the time. Properly set up, it should even chase if you press stop on the master machine and jog to another point in the timeline.

Reactions: xeemy
Hello,

here's my situation and problem: I have two Tascam portastudios (DP-24 and DP-32)

Since you have SD models, MIDI sync isn't going to work, obviously.

Hello, I realize this is an old thread, but I would like to know if the footswitch trick worked. 2.5 mm jacks are available in my country, so it is easy to make your own Y cable.

Hi...just checking to see if anyone has confirmed using a this footswitch with splitter to two DP series machines....

Without the MIDI to sync.....I was thinking of using the built in metronome...and recording it onto a track of each unit during the tracking session ...to get the metronome to the second unit I would route it through monitor out ...then..bring the recorded tracks into DAW and realign as needed....

Do you think this would work?

For anyone that seriously needs to Sync Midi and the DP24/32 this can be done in conjunction with most of the new Midi MOTU's that have SMPTE. And the Motu Midi devices are relatively inexpensive:rolleyes:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.