Out of RAM - Error on Mounting

bobadrew

From
MS, USA
Gear owned
MX-2424, M520, M38, M30
I got an "Out of RAM" error when I tried to mount one of my drives. The drive I was mounting was questionable as to whether it worked or not but I'm still curious about the error. It made me wonder if I have sufficient RAM in the machine but I don't see where to check it in the system menu and I don't see it in the specs. Anybody ever get this error?

-andrew

Does it now mount other drives or is it doing this for every drive?

What size drive are you trying to mount?

Which version of the operating system is being used?

What size ram is installed? They only use 128mb or 256mb.

Cheers
Alan.

I can mount other drives so it's not a critical issue. I had just never received this particular error and it made me wonder how much RAM I have installed. Is there a way to check without opening up the machine?

-andrew

The operating system version is in menu 990, Ram size is menu item 988

If the ram problem is only showing up with one drive, the problem is more likely on that drive.

RAM errors usually only come up if the latest operating system is used with only 128mb ram fitted and you have not got the waveform record turned on (draws the waveform as recording takes place and taxes the ram harder, whereby when turned off draws the waveform after stop button has been hit). Waveform record is menu item 570.

I have attached some text from the operating system update notes 3-11:

New Expanded RAM Options

With software version 3.01, the MX-2424 is able to take advantage of 256 megabytes of installed RAM. For dense editing with the MX-View graphical interface you should upgrade your MX-2424 to 256 megabytes of RAM. Contact TASCAM Sales at 323 726-0303 to order the specific RAM required by the MX-2424. Other types of RAM may not perform reliably.

Menu 988 will display the amount of installed memory in the MX-2424

If unsupported RAM that is not compatible with the MX-2424 is installed, the machine will not power up in a normal manner. The following message will be displayed: "Mounting Drives, Unsupported RAM". At that point the machine must be powered down and the unsupported RAM removed. Either the stock RAM or the proper TASCAM RAM upgrade module would have to be installed.

A New "Ram Low" message has been added to help you determine if you need to purchase the expanded RAM. You can try your normal working habits with the stock 128 megabytes of RAM, and determine if you encounter this message. If you encounter this message, you can unmount the drives and cycle the power, with no risk to the audio data.

If you encounter this message, your working habits require the expanded RAM.

Comment: This one is a hornets nest because we will be shipping new machines with 256 so old users will want free RAM. Since you mentioned how to see how much is installed I’d just leave it at that.

Menu 570-Waveform Record

With the 3.01 release, it will be possible to use your MX-2424 recorder with the new graphical user interface, "MX-View", which among other things, will display audio waveform data of MX- 2424 recordings.

Turning Menu 570 to "on" allows the MX-2424 to record waveform data along with the audio files. Thus, when a project is loaded into MX-View and its waveforms are displayed, there is minimal delay since the waveform data was already "computed" when the recording took place.

It is important to understand that creating and drawing waveforms uses RAM. In general, Waveform Recording should be set to "off" if you are experiencing "Memory Low" messages and the machine’s RAM has not been upgraded to the 256 megabyte module. You could also leave Waveform record turned off if you do not plan to use MX-View at any stage of your recording process.

After loading MX-2424 software version 3.01 the MX-2424 will default to "off" for waveform recording. However, when MX-View software is launched for the first time, MX-View will automatically turn waveform recording on.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.