Panning with portastudio 414 mk2

Phb29

Gear owned
Portastudio 414 mk2
Hi everybody, i have a question about panning with portastudio
414 mk2.
If i record on the first channel,i have to turn the pan button on the left but when i play back can i pan it on hard right or not?
Thanks for the help!!

Pan has to do with where a signal is going. If you record one track one a pan will not change that position as it is already on the tape. If the tape is played back you can pan it with other mixer items added to it to a new channel. What ever the source of the strip Line, Mic or Tape it can be panned but also realize a pan only works when a stereo recording is going on- that is one with the left and right buss being used to record onto another set of tracks. You can of course pan all you wants if you are mixing down to send out the line outs. It is best to study a devices black diagram so that understanding can be had about how signals travel.

Thank you skywave, if i understand the channel 1 and 3 are dedicated for the left side and 2 and 4 for the right side .when i turn the pan button of the channel 1 while is playing back ,from the twelve o clock position i won't have signal on the right side because of the way it's printed on the tape?
Have a Nice day !

I have another issue with my tascam 414 mk2 when i send stereo signal in the input 7-8 i dont have signal on the right side on my output L-R.
Do i miss something ,like pressing a button or something else ?

Maybe, Are you sending in a signal on a three conductor 1/4" plug? If you plug in a standard 1/4" mono plug the left channel is only there as the right channel is shorted to ground. You need to have a Tip- Left, Ring- Right and Shield is ground for both. Cables can be built to allow the two channels to go in from two RCA inputs.

Last questionto be sure.
Is that normal when i send a signal on the first track i have sound on the left side and when i turn the pan button from left to right while i'm playing ,when i get to twelve o clock and i begin to turn the button on the right side i dont have no more signal.
Is that normal ?

No a single signal would be present only at left when set far left then in center the signal would be mono meaning both left and right busses then when full right only on right side. This is standard on just about every mixer that I have worked on and the way Pan pots are designed. If it cuts out when center to right the right buss must have something wrong with it. Technician test this not with tape but with a sine wave signal coming in at -10dBV and 1KHz sine wave tone EQ controls center. Also the pan goes into the stereo master fader if you have one and dirt dust and fuzz in that pot or fader can cause an interruption in signal- dirt and fuzz act as an insulator between the fader wiper to the carbon element. It can be sprayed out with contact cleaner then if that does not work then a person with a scope has to go in and find out what is causing the lass of signal. The way these are made with wave soldering a few drops will cause solder joints which I and other have called anemic to break- the fix is resoldering by a talented Technician using Kester 44 and making good shiny joints and we do not use guns- that is for gutters.

Thanks for your precious experience.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.