Patch Cables For Bouncing

zozoe

Gear owned
388, MR16 1" tape,
Hi all,, As i continue to gather the little stuff before the Model 16 comes in,, is quality Mogami 2524 cable (which is what I use for all my instrument cables) what I should be using for bouncing? From what I gather & watched online, is that all bouncing is done through the SUB OUT, being patched into 9/10, or 11/12, & it's all on stereo pairs, or can I also go left or right SUB OUT & patch into the line inputs from the SUB OUT for some mono bouncing?
Thanks folks!!

In general, one should always use the best quality cabling they can reasonably afford.

An important consideration that wasn't mentioned in your post is whether to use balanced or unbalanced cables. The user manual will tell you the nature of those patching jacks.

Well, w/o even looking it up, the Sub outs are balanced & channel lines inputs are all 2 conductor balanced... What I really wanted to know can line ins on 3-8 all capable of taking composite mono bounced se, as opposed to the stereo tracks 9/10 & 11/12?? So, a high quality gtr cable will do for bouncing, right?

Thanks MJK, & good all is well~

Thanks MJK...
All I want to know is if the Line Ins on 3-8 are all capable of accepting the standard 2 cond. cable from the SUB OUT instead of me bouncing tracks to stereo on 9/10 or 11/12, as seen in the tutorials?
Thanks again ~

Kenny, it looks like channels 3 to 12 all have a single 1/4" (6.8mm) sized standard phone jacks for Line in. Of course, where the line level signal comes from is irrelevant.

I think the difference you're asking about, is that some channels accept stereo line in (2 jacks) and some only mono (single jack). What channel you would use depends upon the nature of the source. If you want to bounce a mono bass track for example, there is no need to use a stereo pair for that (this is very similar to the DP discussion on stereo vs. mono tracks). Although I don't like using patch cables, the method shown in the video below does allow for doing some cool submixes to a stereo pair and free up the storage tracks. The Sub bus is stereo.

Also, channels have a Pan knob, so you could use 2 mono channels for a stereo bounce/submix and just pan them hard L/R.

Please note one more thing: Every Line in jack on the Model 24 has "(Bal)" written underneath the description for that jack. So it looks like the Model 24 is expecting to use TRS cables for those inputs.

https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/tutorial-and-informational-videos-for-model-24-16-12.7922/

Thanks again MJK,, When you said
"Please note one more thing: Every Line in jack on the Model 24 has "(Bal)" written underneath the description for that jack. So it looks like the Model 24 is expecting to use TRS cables for those inputs.", I get it. So, doing what tutorial #3 says, going from the SUB OUTS to either the 9/10 or 11/2, is that with using standard 2 cond. cables? That is not covered, so please clarify. Yes or no?
Thanks
Kenny

Kenny, what does "TRS" mean?

I've been a semi pro engineer for 30+ yrs., can do live sound, could walk into any analogue room & get sounds
I'm no Eddie Kramer, or Mutt Lange,, but who is? Having said that, MJK, the Model 16 is something new to my world, & the only things I'm asking are not covered in the manual or any tutorial,,, so my final yes/no question is if the cables from the SUB OUT >> STEREO INS on 9/10 or 11/12 are quality 2 cond. guitar cables or TRS?
Thanks, as always~

Last edited:
They are TRS, it's listed on the website under specifications.

Reactions: -mjk-
I've been a semi pro engineer for 30+ yrs., can do live sound, could walk into any analogue room & get sounds

Alright then. If you walked into one of those rooms and had to connect 2 pieces of gear with balanced inputs, would you use a guitar cable?

And this time, please don't dodge the question.

They are TRS, it's listed on the website under specifications.

@Morgelec I'm trying to help Kenny use his 30+ years of professional audio experience to arrive at the proper conclusion on his own. But thank you for stating that outright.

Oh wait...your asking if you can use an unbalanced cable? So you will be going from a balanced plug to a unbalanced one, which makes the connection unbalanced. So the thought is to do mono bouncing....not sure on that...sorry, I hadn't read through all post's. But someone mentioned panning hard L/R...won't that work for you want?

Reactions: -mjk-
Panning won't be affected. We are not talking about a TRS cable used in a stereo cable configuration (like headphones). This is only about balanced/unbalanced.

The panel on the console says the inputs are balanced. An actual recording engineer with 30+ years of experience will know what cable to use: that would be a balanced cable. I honestly do not understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. There is nothing to figure out. It tells you what to use.

MJK, I'm sorry, but for a moderator, you're rather cynical, sarcastic, & a bit too impatient, as well as some chat-mates, but it's all good, now that I've seen the specs for myself. Now that I've looked at the specs, I see it all now, but i was admittedly a bit lazy on just looking at reading materials. So, again, thanks to all involved in this stage for all the info.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.