PC and DAW Recommendation

That model is NT$6,250 on Shopee in Taiwan. Looks like a powerhouse.

Looks like a fine MB to me!

@Peter Batah yes, that is New Taiwan dollars. The computer business is very slim these days, so competitive. That price was a private individual selling on a shopping site. But there is also an Asus outlet very nearby. And at the NOVA place, you can pit sellers against each other, hehe.

Current rate, that is $233.14 USD.

Reactions: Peter Batah
Hi all,

This forum has been amazing for me so now I’m happy to offer some advice from my own experience. I’ve been doing this for over 30 years.

I work for a computer company. However I would not buy a pre-built computer ever. If you have a Micro Center near you, that is my go to place. I would start with a really great case and a high-end power supply. A good computer is built with components. Video card, CPU, Memory, and even motherboard all change. I’ve switched out various components over the years to keep up with the latest. Getting a cool case and a good power supply of 1000 W is a great foundation.

I use my system for music recording and production, video editing, and VR. So I have three monitors but it’s only a matter of preference.

I’ve had a number of DAWs Over the years. My only recommendation here is to pick one with the community to support your style of music. I also use Cubase currently as it is a great general purpose DAW and has great support. but I also have FL Studio and a few others just in case.
My DM is like my rock. No matter what I throw at it it continues to perform and I have yet to find anything to match it. So much so that I’ve even purchased a back up and use it for parts.

Keep in mind it’s an evolution. No matter what you purchase you will be able to use it and have great results. It’s just a tool. Even if you make a mistake just keep going and replace that component when you’re ready. You’ll still get plenty of use out of it.

And use the forum

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
OK. As to specific components. Only use SSD‘s. There are new NVMe drives that plug right into the MOB so no cable or slots needed. Get a couple and use one for the OS boot drive and the other for apps and files. Get a big external USB drive for backups and archives. Move what you don’t use on a day-to-day basis to the back up drive.

ASUS .. MSI and EGVA, have always been great components for me too.

Reactions: -mjk-
@HiFiDavid Thank you for chiming in. I wholeheartedly agree that building the PC from the ground up is the way to go. The only time I choose ready built machines is when my clients swap out their older workstations. This usually happens every fours years or so. And, what I find has worked out really well is the All-in-One machines. Mostly Dell 9020 / 7480 business class that come with a 3-year on-site warranty. They have served my clients very well.

Have a wonderful day / evening. Peter

@Peter Batah
Totally agree, most folks don’t use computers to their fullest these days. Thanks for the plug by the way. Dell is a great company to work for too.

Hi Peter,

Then I can only tell you that I've been using Cubase since the Atari days. What I can add about ProTools is that, yes, it was considered to be the industry standard, but it seems like more and more producers are moving away from Avid - especially because of the subscription scheme they use on their software. And I've heard of several professional studios who weren't too happy about being left in the cold with unusable Avid hardware as well.

I find Cubase Pro a fantastic piece of software - also, coming from the old 'MIDI-Only' days, Cubase is still very strong in the MIDI department, but also comes with great tools built in, like for instance spectral editing in the latest version (11). To compare: here the versions of Cubase: https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

Good day @Arjan P A question if I may. What happens if an artist / client approaches you with a project that was created in PT. Are you able to import that project into Cubase with any drawbacks or negative artifacts. And, I am wondering if the same can be done in PT. Import a Cubase project. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

@Peter Batah I have no experience exchanging projects between DAWs, since pretty much all of my work here is recording from scratch. I do know there is a protocol to do this but I'm not sure how much of the project information is retained there. Just looked it up, it's called OMF files. BTW, I never considered PT myself since I kinda 'grew up' with Cubase - and I hate subscription schemes (for any software).

@Arjan P I agree. I too am not a fan of subscription based licensing. But, I must say that I am seeing more and more of that model with the bigger companies. Microsoft, Kaspersky, Symantec. I just signed up a client to Adobe Acrobat Pro. 16.99 / month versus a perpetual license at 499.99. Sign 'O the times!

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P

New threads

Members online

No members online now.