PC playback/DAW monitoring on Model 12

J Kempster MIPS

From
UK
Website
soundcloud.com
Gear owned
DR100, DR70, X8, Model 12
My lovely new Model 12 has been delivered and is sitting on my desk. I downloaded the Windows driver (which doesn't seem to have any features, except buffer rate). I connected the mixer to my laptop with the supplied USB cable. Selected 'PC' on the mode switch on channel 9/10, advanced the gain, opened the channel fader, opened the main fader to normal stop, plugged in my headphones, advanced the headphones pot....
No sound, no signasl on meter.
I have checked the sampling rates on thre PC. Can't see what else I could have got wrong. Can't find any further advice in the manual.
Can anyone give me a clue?

Did you select the Model 12 as the ASIO device in the DAW?

Yes, I've now got the mixer working as the ASIO device with Adobe Audition, but it doesn't work with any Windows apps, such as Zoom or Skype. I need those to work as remote interview recording is a major part of my work. It must be a hidden Windows setting in the sound control settings. I've checked the sampling rate, but I can’t even hear Media Player.

UPDATE:
I have discovered, to my dismay, that PC playback is only available on mixer channels 1&2. This is very disappointing because it means tieing up two mic channnels simply to monitor playback or broadcast cue return.
Suddenly my lovely new Model 12 has become slightly less useful than my battered old Zoom L8. (But does have nicer faders).

In several decades of using entry/low-to-middle end gear (I'm not a studio-stud like @-mjk- , @Arjan P , et al) I have run into this aspect manymany times.

These companies (Tascam, Boss/Roland, ZOOM, Fostex, yada) all use/d whatever shortcuts/compromises they can/need to, so as to manage design/production costs and make their products as full-featured as possible at the lowest cost possible, in order to compete with the other companies doing the same thing.
This inevitably leads to shortcuts, combined or compromised features, etc etc., which (as the end user) you're forced to work with/around. I'd suggest that every MTR I've ever owned - going back to Fostex MR-8xx's - are like this. [shrug]

The good news is that - despite it's challenges/foibles/flaws, people seem to love the Modelxx's. In fact, my Sweetwater guy tried to talk me into one of those when I was upgrading from my beloved (and still in my possession!) 2488neo...but I ended up going with the O/G DP-32, and am very happy with it...suits my needs perfectly, and better tan the Modelxx's would've.

Thanks Shredd. It's a bit of a culture change for me, going from assignable Studer desks working for an international radio broadcaster, to finding and funding useful equipment in the freelance landscape! I do think that the Model-12 will be a step up from my Zoom L8 (bought in haste for a rush job, but kept and run into the ground), it's certainly better built, but as you say, we have to compromise on operability - you get what you pay for, and for the money I think it is worth it. I'm only on day-1 with the new Tascam, yet I am progressing well with a massive edit that the client needs by tomorrow evening - I lost a few hours just working out how to hear playback on my new Model-12, at least I know it's possible, if a little clunky!
JK

Yes, I've now got the mixer working as the ASIO device with Adobe Audition, but it doesn't work with any Windows apps, such as Zoom or Skype. I need those to work as remote interview recording is a major part of my work. It must be a hidden Windows setting in the sound control settings. I've checked the sampling rate, but I can’t even hear Media Player.

I discovered this limitation (ie not able to send windows audio to the stereo channels) as well when I got my M12. However there is a work around if you are just using windows applications without a DAW

Hope this helps

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.