PC / USB Returns - Too Loud

Jayson Wonder

From
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gear owned
DM-4800, MX-2424, US-1641
Good day all,

I am not new to Tascam or the forums but definitely new to the Model 24 and these threads. I just picked up this unit last week and I am enjoying it so far.

Is it just me or are the USB/PC returns are super hot?
Is there away to trim the volume of the audio returns over USB? Often times there is software with the interface that allows for this control but the Tascam ModelMixer application is a bit lacking...

I would like to be able to level match this audio with my other sources, without needing to max out the gains on them or keep pulling down my USB/PC return channel (DAW Master out to Model 24 CH 21/22 for me) fader down to like to -20.

I do recall my other audio interfaces being this hot. Any thought or and I just an old man ears guy now... I am on a MacOS so I have no Output Volume at the OS level using an interface (which blows my mind also).

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi @Jayson Wonder,
I don't own a Model24 but perhaps I can give you some hint.
- First, the Model series can reach a hot output level (max 22 dBu with 18 dB headroom) if you push it.
- When used as an audio interface you should set the DAW master output level around "0"; this should give you the same level on the Model 24 at the entry point, which is located right before the equalizer (and after the compressor).
- Any gain applied from this point on will affect the signal from the DAW, anyway with the channel fader at unity you should read a decent level on the M24 VU meter (hopefully around "0").
- You have to do gain staging for all your other sources in order to match the level of channel 21/22, this is usually done before starting a recording session.
- If you have no choice but attenuating the DAW mix simply manage it from its screen, take the DAW master fader down to -20 dB and watch the VU meter on the M24 change accordingly (channel 21/22 and Main Mix faders set to unity).

Hope it helps

Reactions: shredd
Hey Max,

Thanks for replying. I am looking for a method to turn the overall level os the USB Returns outside of the DAW or audio apoplication. I guess it would be a driver software feature. For example, my audio interface has its own mixer with the driver software.

On A windows machine I could do this from the Volume Panel in the taskbar. I am using a MacOS system and of course there is no control at the OS level if not using system speaker. I did read there was a Volume Panel type application for MacOS that does this like windows but I don't want to pay for something that should be part of the OS and almost certainly part of the software for every audio interface including this mixer.

Am I missing software...? The little TascamMixer app only displays Software, Firmware version and Device and Sample Rate. No where do I see a control of any USB IN/OUT

Thank for your reply.

Hi @Jayson,
though you didn't specify the OS version you are running, I guess if you Option-click the speaker icon in the Menu bar it will show a list of currently available audio devices; selecting the USB interface you should see a volume slider to change the system audio output level. Your USB interface should be listed in the Preferences > Audio/MIDI Configuration with a bunch of sliders to adjust levels. Sorry, I don't have my Model 12 here to test it for you but I verified the same behavior with all my previous audio interfaces on OSX 10.9 to 10.13.

Hello Max,

I say in this version, 10.15 .7 Catalina, all volume sliders are "greyed out" / unavailable to adjust except for the internal speakers. I've seen other complain about this lack or feature / control in the OS.

I guess I will just have to live with it for now. I could have worse issues.

Thanks,

Hello Jayson, at the end of the day that's not a big deal: I would let the DAW output level where it is and work on the other sources in order to get a balanced mix. I would contact Tascam support and ask for a driver update, who knows! ;)

Reactions: Jayson Wonder

New threads

Members online

No members online now.