Piano and Vocal Mixing advice and feedback?

Darryn

Veteran
Gear owned
dm3200
I was hoping to get some feedback on a mix Im currently working on. Im using Protools 10 with a limited amount of plugins with my Tascam dm3200. These are my only tools I have for mixing. The track just consists of Piano (stereo miked) and a Mono Vocal Track. I am using References tracks that the client gave me. Im trying to match the sound as close as I can.

The main problem I'm having is that I cannot get the presence in my mix that these reference tracks have. The Bass is very clear and sustained and all instruments sound very "In your face" or upfront.

Mine at the moment in contrast sounds distant and a little muddy and mixed up. Ive tried EQ, compression in various ways. Using the built in reverbs for the piano and vocals sounds great but i suspect its the main cause for the muddiness. Please have a listen and offer any Suggestions or thoughts, It would be gratefully appreciated.

Reference Track 1:

Reference track 2:

Last edited:
So exactly what effects are used and how? The vocal does sound distant, as if the reverb was an insert i.s.o. send effect. Also, you might try with no or at least less effect on the piano.

BTW, nice song!

Reactions: Darryn
Thanks @Arjan P! Im not entirely sure what you mean by I.S.O send effect but i think it may be what I'm doing. In my routing, I have setup the Tascam dm3200 Inbuilt reverb and effects on channels 41 to 44 and I have the effects send to Aux 5-6 and 7-8 respectively. I then sent the vocal and piano to them from there using the Aux.. When I'm happy with the mix on the console I send all channels through the same stereo BUSS onto Protools. I Decided on TC works "hall big Clear" & the "exciter" from the Tascam effects. Thanks again for reaching out. :)

I will add that i can only monitor with headphones at the moment so when I'm mixing it sounds close, which is certainly part of the problem. My next purchase will certainly be a decent set of monitors. :)

New threads

Staff online

Members online