Porta One Ministudio - Take-up reel problem

Dave Wright

Gear owned
Tascam Porta One
I am trying to ressurect my Porta One Ministudio, which has been dormant for a few years

Have managed to fix a few issues, but have a major problem which I am currently unable to fix.

The take-up reel does not wind the tape.

Without a cassette installed, when I press Play, the take-up reel rotates, and appears to have a strong torque (but not sure how to actually measure this). The idler-play (item 26 on page 42 of service manual) rotates OK. With the cassette installed there is virtually no movement of the tape onto the take-up reel.

Also, in an effort to resolve this, I removed the take-up reel assy (as detailed on page 28 of the service manual), and on re-assembly, the auto-stop function is no longer working.

I suspect this is due to the orientation of the clutch assy (item 23 on page 42 of service manual), but not sure of the orientation as this is not clear from the service manual.

Fast Forward and Rewind functions are OK.

Would appreciate any help to resolve this problem

UPDATE...
My original issue was due the the broken Head Block which I repaired (including re-shaping the spring) as in "Tascam prta One/Head Does Not Engage/Repair" YouTube video

The take-up reel does not drive the tape with a cassette installed. Without the cassette, the take-up reel drives OK.
I have determined that this is due to the Head Chassis plate not moving back far enough to allow the pin on the Play Arm to move enough to allow the Play Idler to make contact with the take-up reel assembly

Is there an adjustment somewhere that allows the Head Bolck to move in relation to the physical cassette???

Am I missing something obvious here???

New threads

Members online