Porta Two belts

Discussion in 'TASCAM Analog Forum' started by Urbanized, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Urbanized

Urbanized New Member

Gear:
    Tascam Porta Two
    Hi folks,

I bought a Porta Two recently, but the belts need to be replaced. Does anyone know what brand/type/size it is, and where to buy them for a fair price. Did a Google search, but sellers ask ridiculous prices.

P S. How much belts does the recorder contain?

Regards,

Urbanized
  2. SkywaveTDR

SkywaveTDR Well-Known Member

Chicago area
    Gear:
    Teac, Tascam, Sony
    Basically I measure what is in there and determine the stretch amount and then select one that is going to work but I stock a lot of belt being a service shop. If you use the string method of measuring the path and reduce that by 6% the belt can be ordered from Consolidated Electronics for very reasonable price. https://www.ceitron.com/passive/belt.html
    All you need do is determine the ID and the belt thickness and then order that belt.
  3. Urbanized

Urbanized New Member

Gear:
    Tascam Porta Two
    Thank you for your answer.

How should I measure the string? Should I cut it and measure the length? But if I measure it, isn't there a chance it will stretch and the calculation will be wrong?

Do you have the Porta Two? If yes, what are the measurements?
  4. SkywaveTDR

SkywaveTDR Well-Known Member

Chicago area
    Gear:
    Teac, Tascam, Sony
    You are measuring the path the belt must take and then subtract 6%. It is very easy to do this. In my shop I just try a belt or two until I get the right one but some deck are known to have a certain sized belt from experience. I just finished two 488 Mk II but have not had a Porta 2 for some time here.
  5. Urbanized

Urbanized New Member

Gear:
    Tascam Porta Two
    Hi Sky,

I bought the belts in Portugal for a good price at once. It's working now.

Thank you for your support!

Another question:

Is it normal the motor is spinning while the power button is off? It only quit spinning when I cut the electricity. And the record led keeps on blinking while it's not in record mode.