shredd

Soundaholic
From
7 miles west of the Middle Of Nowhere
Website
www.soundclick.com
Gear owned
2488's, DP-32 & -008(ex)
Well, it wouldn't be the same world if I wasn't beachin' n' crying' about my "portables" situation.

I started out long ago on small Fostex units...I LOVED my MR-8's - I had them all, right up to the record-4-trax MR-8HD.
BUT they were seriously limited in that they could basically only record "dry" trax, maybe a little reverb...
Which WOULDA been OK - the point was to take the trax, drop them into either GBand or my 2488/DP projects, and "work" them there...the REAL problem is that eventually, due to the age of the designs (and the s/ware & drivers that are available for the units) - they will NOT hook up to a puter to get the trax outta them, nor will they stream their wav's down the USB pipe to a Tascam.
So...fine for recording remotely IF the whole project is gonna happen on that unit; but no good if you wanna move the trax elsewhere.
I started out that way - record my 4 trax, bounce 'em, record 4 more...fine if you can mix as you go, but I prefer having all the trax recorded and THEN decide what to do with them. Gawd Bless the DP-32!

As recent readers have gathered, I recently picked up some BOSS BR's - the excellent BR-800, and the teeny Micro BR.
They're actually both pretty solid units, good sound, decent capabilities, and reasonably user-friendly (as much as gear like this can be!). Despite that dang rhythm issue, I like 'em!
BUT - I've run into the same obstacle - I can't get trax outta the units into something/anything else. The BOSS's seem to have their own proprietary file format, so you can't just copy wav's off the SD card; and the BOSS BR Wave Converter software not only appears to have been written in 1983 by schoolchildren, but is pretty ineffective with a PC and completely incompatible with Mac.

SO...I'm literally in the same shooz I've been in since Bush2 was POTUS: I can't seem to find a decent piece o'gear that will record remotely w/reasonable track quality, AND have the trax be available to import into my home studio gear/projects.

I'm clearly just not into the right gear. Might have to go with something newer/modern/hi-tech in a way the stuff I've been using isn't. Open to suggestions, if anyone is doing what I'm after (recording trax remotely, to bring home and put into my DP).

At this point, the only effective method is to go out of the AUDIO outputs of these units, and record them to the DP as an audio signal. Clearly not the best choice for quality of signal...too much noise...argh.

If Richard Branson would return my phone calls about sponsoring me already, I'd have some suh-weet new-fangled gear, I'm sure...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, Branson is busy. He doesn't take my calls either.

I have a confession to make: I own and use a Zoom H2N handheld recorder with the whole package, remote, extension, etc.. That one, like pretty much every other modern handy recorder does an incredible job. I record at 24/48 which is what my console and system runs at, and whatever I record in the field works in the studio, perfectly. When I was in south Taiwan, I recorded a jam at a club using the Insta360 One X2 on stand, and the Zoom right in front of the stage. By mixing the audio from both sources I got a very useable audio track for the video. I was recording in 4-track mode: L/R + M/S so I had more to work with. Its more about technique than gear, but you may want to update your gear. Tascam has some very cool handhelds and there are others that work very well too.

Its more about technique than gear, but you may want to update your gear
Yup...much as I don't want it to be so...it sorta looks like that's where my quest is heading. I haveta re-think my approach to capturing trax away from home-studio confines, to accommodate both my current home-studio setup, and the capabilities/limitations of the remote gear - and I think it's become pretty apparent that older gear, though proven in their time, are not a great solution nowadays.

Now if Branson would get back to me and get my funding going, I'd have a studio like Paisley Park and Satriani would be beating my door down to get in on my projects...:p

Reactions: -mjk-
I can't seem to find a decent piece o'gear that will record remotely w/reasonable track quality, AND have the trax be available to import into my home studio gear/projects.
Ironically, this was precisely the reason I bought a DP-32SD :)
My home gear is based on a Fostex hard-disc recorder with an analogue mixer and outboard. When I upgraded from the 8-track D108 to the 24-track D2424 (you can never have enough tracks), I used the D108 and a 16-track Mackie mixer for recording on location. The D108 has an ADAT digital output so 8 tracks could be copied in a single pass back to the home gear, albeit in real-time. This gear eventually got too heavy for my ageing back, so along came the DP machine.
I did as much prep as possible before leaving - create blank songs named as required, set up assignments and sends, import any backing/guide tracks etc. so it's just a case of wiring it all up on site and pressing record. The unexpected bonus with the DP machine was the ability to edit, add effects, mix etc. while still on site; just needed a couple of small active speakers.

Reactions: dctdct and shredd
As usual, Phil has the answers.

In fact, the portability of the DP actually makes it a great unit for "location" work...and brings all the inputs, track-space, and versatility/capability to the job - as well as coming back home and dropping right into the studio setup.
In an ideal world, that's exactly what I'd do. In fact, in the interest of making my world better, that might BE what I do.
It's even possible that my 2488neo (now on sabbatical, as I use the DP-32 as my studio centerpiece) could become my "mobile" unit, to take to locations, other people's houses, etc, to capture trax/material...I'd then go through the clumsy convert/export process on the 'neo to create *.WAV's to put on the DP at home.

The ENTIRE reason I've put myself through this ongoing, messy process is that it was always my intention to be "mobile" with as small a piece of gear and as little peripheral equipment as possible, in order to show up with a recorder the size of a paperback book; backing and/or rhythm track/s already in place; plug in a mic or their git'r/bass/whatever and have them lay down a track that I could export to my DP project (the "real" one) for processing/mixing. Quick n' easy, fast 'n sleezy.:p

This started during the pandemic, because no one would come to your house to record, even for a 15-minute quicky-track. It's still like that where I live.
Where I live, a significant amount of the population couldn't have POSSIBLY been less interested in the realities of the pandemic (if you're wondering what it's like where I live: this area elected loren bobert to congress!!!o_O)
So a great many people won't take even the least possible effort to protect themselves, or others. I've seen mothers take their sick, hacking toddlers to the grocery store and let them pick their nose and eat it while playing with all the produce. NO EXAGGERATION.
I can't do that. I'm an old man and I already have lung problems, and dr has made it clear that while no outcome is certain, that if I get infected my chances are about as good as Kim Jung Un getting a Nobel for World Peace.

I'm simply not in the category many forum-ites here are - where they're going on location to record an entire band, orchestra, etc. with lots of tracks and such. I typically just need a quicky bass track, maybe a vocal, whatever. My needs are pretty minimal by comparison. That's why it's been frustrating to not be able to make it work.

So something's gonna haveta give. Either that, or I need Richard Branson to return my phone calls already, and fund my Paisley Park-level studio buildout, so all the great artists of the world will wanna come to my house.:LOL:

Where I live, a significant amount of the population couldn't have POSSIBLY been less interested in the realities of the pandemic...this area elected loren bobert to congress!!!o_O
So a great many people won't take even the least possible effort to protect themselves, or others...I already have lung problems...if I get infected my chances are about as good as Kim Jung Un getting a Nobel for World Peace.
I can sure relate to all of that! With a few of my supposedly well-educated relatives, it's like talking to a block of wood. Facts only result in irrational and irrelevant emotional outbursts. So sad.
The ENTIRE reason I've put myself through this ongoing, messy process is that it was always my intention to be "mobile" with as small a piece of gear and as little peripheral equipment as possible,...Quick n' easy
Back in the day my studio had complete location recording capability. Carrying around a portastudio with some mics and stands is a walk in the park by comparison. Sounds to me that the smallest practical gear for you may in fact be one of the portastudios. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: shredd
Sounds to me that the smallest practical gear for you may in fact be the portastudio. :)
As I mentioned...I realllly wanna have my "mobile" efforts be truly portable - meaning as small/minimal/quick n' easy as possible for me and the 'guest players'...
But considering the experience I'm having trying to set myself up for this, it's ENTIRELY possible you, and Phil, and everyone else...are dead-on.
It's just hard for me to visualize pulling my DP out of the studio setup, packing it up, and lugging it (& associated gear) to someone's house to lay down a 3-minute bass part or sing 20 or 30 seconds of b/up vox. These simple, quicky takes was the point of the whole effort.

SO - I'm actually up for suggestions:
Anyone know of a small MTR - something like 6-8 trx, 12 max - that will do a decent recording AND has capability/compatibility with current technology (ideally, to export *.WAV's to a PC/Mac, for importing to DP's tracks)?

I called Alan Parsons to ask about this, but HE's not returning my phone calls either. What IS it with these guys???:rolleyes:

Reactions: -mjk- and dctdct
Anyone know of a small MTR
Like these portastudios? All use on-board or external mics; and have line and instrument inputs.

The DP-008EX (9x2x5 inches) and DP-006 (6x2x4 inches) can be either battery or AC powered. They're not much bigger than some guitar pedals.

The DP-03SD (11x2x8 inches) is AC powered and similar in concept to the larger DP-24/32/SD portastudios.

All three are supported by a forum on this site.

Attachments

• TASCAM Portastudios.jpg
    TASCAM Portastudios.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
DP-008EX is exactly my choice for a very small recording setup, the size of a book.
Supports only 16/44.1 but it is still way more quality we had days back with analog equipment.
At home I export/import to DP-24.

Last edited:
Like these portastudios?
Am gonna give these a better look.
At home I export/import to DP-24
Which is basically EXACTLY what I'm looking to do.

I thought I'd like the BOSS units 'cuz they have outstanding rhythm and FX capabilities...and are pretty capable/user-friendly all around....but between the timing and compatibility problems, they are not fulfilling their intended roles....

DP-008EX is exactly my choice for a very small recording setup, the size of a book.
Supports only 16/44.1 but it is still way more quality we had days back with analog equipment.
At home I export/import to DP-24.
I meant to ask you: when you import/export to/from your DP...do you do it via direct USB connection? Or via computer, using Audio Depot?

I ask, because I have my DP connected directly via USB to my studio iMac..
I SUPPOSE I could put a little Tascam (like your 008) into another USB port of the iMac, and the DP is STILL going to see it there...but not the same way as if the DP was connected directly to the 008...

This is stuff I'd find out by doing...and in the BOSS's case, did NOT work...would hope for better from a Tascam mini-MTR...

DPs are not host devices so they won't connect together via USB, @shredd.

Those smaller DP machines look like they can fit in a small padded computer bag too.

Reactions: dctdct
DPs are not host devices so they won't connect together via USB
Right...wouldn't have expected that. So I can't dump *.WAV's directly from a DP-xxx into my DP-32.
BUT - as long as they'll connect to my studio puter (iMac) and transfer standard *.WAV's...then I just import those into the DP-32 via Audio Depot.

Might be on to something here...

That's no problem.

Reactions: shredd
That's no problem.
Might be goin' in that direction.
It was my mistake for thinking some of the older gear I've tried - though they were excellent gear "in their day" - would do that now.
Guess it's time to get gear shoppin'!!! Anyone got one of those nice little Tascam's to trade for a bag of pucks???:p

Right...wouldn't have expected that. So I can't dump *.WAV's directly from a DP-xxx into my DP-32.
BUT - as long as they'll connect to my studio puter (iMac) and transfer standard *.WAV's...then I just import those into the DP-32 via Audio Depot.

Might be on to something here...
You are ;)

Keep in mind the Tascam DP "small" devices (like DP-03) with only 2 input channels use a very different firmware than the more sophisticated "big" ones with 8 input channels (like DP-32). Hence different handling.

I transfer directly (from a computer point of view) from one connected USB device to the other, using file copy commands (from small field devices /wave folder to portastudio /audio depot.
TBH, if you look at the whole procedure, there are more steps involved: export tracks, connect both devices, copy files via computer, import tracks.
As I'm already connected I do a safe copy of the original files on the computer too.

(If you don't like the USB way you could read into the computer the SD card folder and write the same way into the target SD card.)

I really like my Zoom. I use it for movie making and I can import those tracks to Reaper or covert them to mp3 (because my movie editor uses that format). Having a good field recorder is essential for those times when you need it (and there is no substitute when that happens). I bought a wide mounting bracket that has 2, 1/4-20 threaded studs spread apart so I can mount 2 devices (like the 360 cam and audio recorder together) and I can bolt that to the bottom of my mobile phone gimbal and use Filmic @24fps. Possibilities are up to your own imagination. Even in the studio, if I'm singing or playing on my favorite tube mic, having the Zoom record my vocal or guitar from a very close position relative to the tube mic makes not only a good backup solution but also can yield a very good second set of tracks for improved sonics when combined with the main mic. The Zoom can record 4 tracks as I mentioned above. Sometimes just having those mid/side tracks can really open up the soundstage.

I just found this thread and I think I may have mentioned a couple ways to get tracks off a Portastudio in another thread here, but I didn't realize you were trying to go Portastudio to Portastudio in that one.

Here's what I would think to be the fastest way:

First, grab an external USB card reader and add it to your iMac. Now you should have two SD card slots available in the iMac. Your iMac already has one on the back (if it's like mine).

Export the tracks from the DP-008. Turn it off. Eject the DP-008 SD card. Then eject the DP-24 SD card. Drop both cards into your two slots, drag/drop the necessary files across from the DP-008 card to the DP-24 card using the File Explorer. Eject the DP-24 card and put it back in the DP-24. Import the tracks. And done.

New threads

Members online