Portacapture X8 with Boss RC1 Looper

Nathaniel

Gear owned
Portacapture X8
I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to use the Boss Rc 1 looper with the Porta capture X8? I want to use the mics on the x8 to record acoustic instruments with nature sounds around me with the acoustic unplugged instrument. I then will have another acoustic instrument with me to layer on. Please help me because I purchased all this equipment in hopes to get this project going!

You can do all the recording ok into the Tascam. But to use those sounds in the looper in real time, you would need to connect an out from the Tascam to an input on the looper.
So it depends what inputs are available.

I have a Tascam but not the Boss so only know half the equation, but below are observation which may assist.

The Tascam only has three potential outputs.
1 : The usb c port, Does the Boss have a USB input port?
2: the headphone out port, (it’s possible but you would have to use the Tascam headphone volume control to ensure signal balance and not overload the looper input. You also have a cabling issue with headphone out being a stereo out on a TRS jack and the Boss input possibly being Mono TS Jack. The headphone out will have Left and right audio signals, one on its ring and one on its tip. If the Boss in is stereo on a single TRS input you should be okay but I suspect it’s Mono.
3 : The Ext camera out port. This is a line level output on a TRS Jack so again possibly stereo to Mono cabling issues.

Via the correct cabling you should be able to link the devices but a lot depends on how or if the Boss can use line level at its inputs.

Hope these observations assist.

Cheers
David

Nathaniel

Had a look at the Boss RC 1 specs last night.
Looks like you would be best to use a stereo mini jack TRS split into dual mono TS quarter inch jacks and connect the camera out port (Ext) on the PCX8 to the A and B inputs on Boss RC 1.
The signal level settings for the PCX8 port are under Camera menu in the general setting menu.
That port is a line out port and you will need to attenuate (turn down) that signal to a low level to match the Boss in. The Boss in appear to be -20 dbu. The camera setting by default has a pad setting taking the line level (+4 db) to -20db and can be adjusted further to -30db.

I’d start with the -30 setting and turn it up in increments to see if the Boss distorts the signal.

This cabling should allow you to plug your instruments into the PCX8 TRS and use the mics to capture the ambient sounds which should pass to the camera out mixed to the looper.

As a musician myself I’d be interested in how this works for you.

Cheers
David

New threads

Members online