Portastudio 464 – Track 4 mystery

btyler

Gear owned
Portastudio 464
I recently acquired a 464 and was disappointed to discover that track 4 isn't working properly. I'll be taking it to a reputable tech soon but thought I'd check in with this community to see if I can help him narrow things down. Here are the clues:

The fader and all pots for Channel 4 work perfectly. I can hear sound clearly when a mic is plugged into the XLR input.

When I record in Direct mode to track 4, no signal registers on track 4's meter during both recording or playback.

However – when I record in L-R mode to track 4 (with the mic plugged into channel 4) signal does register on track 4's meter, both while recording AND during playback. However, no sound is heard on playback.

Same result when recording to track 4 in L-R mode from channels 1-3.

When playing back old tapes of recordings I made on a 424 years ago, the signal again shows on track 4's meter but no sound is heard.

Sometimes (only sometimes) after recording on track 4 in L-R mode, with channel 4's fader cranked all the way up, I think I can hear a tiny bit of recorded signal. Incredibly faint and only sometimes.

I experimented with sending the direct out for track 4 into the input of channel 5/6 to see if I could get signal, but no luck.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Check the sync switch on back of the machine, make sure it's switched to off.

Many times these decks when you go and chase down one problem the other solve at the same time. Cold or broken solder joints in units that are portable are common. I am even resoldering a lot of Power servo on a X2000R. Some of this manufacture process just gets the product to work BUT if you want it to last many years you need to go in and use a lot of time resoldering with Kester 44.

It ended up being just the sync switch! Wild. Thank you for the responses.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.