Post Mastering Mastering

jeffhart

Gear owned
DP-24
Hey all...got a DP-24 several months back and although I like it a lot, I can't get my masters as loud as I'd like (which after reading all the threads I could, realized is a common issue). My question is what would be the simplest and cheapest, yet highly effective way to tackle this? I use my Tascam as a one-box solution for recording/mixing/mastering (and want to keep it that way), but I'm okay with using a computer-based gizmo/gadget/program to boost the volume of my master (if that's even possible!)...after I've done everything else, I want something that will increase the volume of the master b4 I convert it to mp3 and burn it to disk. Am I in dreamland thinking this is feasible?

It starts by recording at the right levels. But you're past that now ... so ... in MASTER MODE, select NORMALIZE. It's not the best way, and it WILL boost the volume, but if there are loud transients in the original the boost will sound like less. Read the manual pg 73

Record - creates tracks
Mix - mixes tracks and creates a "master" file
Master - further processes "master" file
Master normalize - final processing of "master" file

I should note that the mix and master functions operate on the SAME file. So if you screw something up in the mastering processing you must UNDO, or revert to the Mixdown mode and remix.

Thanks Rusty! I'm still a newb at this for sure and I've been normalizing b4 I hit record to make the master. Am I supposed to normalize after I've actually finished the mastering? As you mentioned, normalizing doesn't bring up the level a whole lot the way I've been doing it, but it brings it up a smidge. I record and mix as hot as possible with the occasional transient hitting red, but not to the point of audible distortion. FWIW, all I'm doing right now is recording myself playing the drums (my main instrument), but will eventually turn it into a full-blown excursion into silliness with other instruments. It's not a commercial endeavor so it doesn't have to be loudness-war loud (which I don't want anyway), but right now, the difference in volume between my work and a commercial release is just too great. I'm super happy with how good the DP-24 sounds though, especially for the money...i just need more volume!

Good practice is NEVER hit the red ... and it's essential in digital recording. If one needs to normalize it's the last thing you do. This is because if you use the mastering FX you'll likely change the volume by adding gain. If you don't use the mastering effects on your mixed down file, you can just normalize.

Those commercial releases are often use a ton of compression, and the gain is up around -.000001 db (grin!). If you aren't using any compression on your drum tracks, you should read up on it. Drums are notorious for LOUD transients (volume spikes) which will definitely affect how NORMALIZE will work. If the peaks are already near clipping, normalizing won't do much.

I don't mix or master on the DP24 ... it's so much easier in a DAW. I usually mix to between -6 to -12 db, and master to -3db to -6db depending on the source.

New threads

Members online