Problem with recording on my Tascam Porta 02

jimmy scrivets

Gear owned
Tascam porta 02
I have a Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (not the mkII version to my knowledge), and there's a problem with it when I record to certain tracks. When I record to track 2, I can't hear what's playing on track 1, and when I record on track 3, I can't hear track 2, and when I record on track 4, I can't hear track 3. This has been really infuriating for me because I've been trying to make more complex music and it's hard to do so when I can't hear all of the tracks during recording. I've been looking online for solutions but I can't find any. Anything helps at this point.

Hey there - you will get the hang of it! Have you reviewed the manual carefully, especially the overdubbing process on pages 15-19? U need to make sure the previously recorded track is set to ‘SAFE’, and that you have its output Level and Pan knobs set appropriately for monitoring. Also, make sure you are properly wired in to the right jacks, etc. for monitoring while tracking and for mixdown w your headphones and or speakers. Don’t lose hope, what you are trying to accomplish is exactly what the unit does.

https://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/320/Porta_02_manual.pdf

Thanks for the help! But I've done everything as it states in the manual as I should, and when I play the tape back I can hear all tracks clearly. The only time when I can't hear other tracks is while I'm recording and the record light is on. It's usually not fully silent, but just VERY muffled.

That sounds like a problem with the unit - it is a v straightforward recorder and hard to plug things in wrong, etc. - when you consult a YouTube video on how to record and overdub, your unit performs differently (very poor audio on accompaniment tracks during overdubbing)?

I don’t know the good channels for portable recording units but i found this stealers wheel

Also, I assume the problem is with multiple blank tapes, not just one?

Yea the problem happens no matter what tape I use. Also mine dosen't say MKII on it, if that helps.

The machine is incredibly straightforward as u know, so there aren’t many possibilities for user error. I cant say for sure but at this point it does sound like it might not be working properly.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.